made to release my box turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason g.

5 Year Member
about 2 years ago I had a box turtle I found in the woods mushroom hunting named evil. (Kids named him that cause his red eyes.) I had him about 4 months and the kids were letting him walk in the park. A dnr officer asked me where I got it. I told him he threatened me with a ticket if I didn't take it back. Little did I know that any native turtle to Indiana is 100% illegal to sell and you have to own a permit to own. I didn't want to sale him but my kids were heartbroken. I got a sulcata now. It's not native.;) lol by the way after researching it I understand why. People hunted them to where they are few left cause of the pet trade. Who knew.
The eastern box turtle is tottering between maintaining stable populations and becoming endangered. "Prohibiting the taking of the eastern box turtle in Indiana is one of the best ways that we can help protect this species," said State Herpetologist, Zack Walker.

Current studies reveal that male eastern box turtles must hear or see a female before the mating process will even begin. Low animal numbers in populations prevent adequate contact between males and females. Additionally, we now know that box turtles have a homing instinct. Turtles displaced by humans will instinctively attempt to return to their home habitat, often times forcing them to travel through unsafe conditions.

Past collection has already harmed many box turtle populations. The loss habitat and an increasing number of roads through their habitat also contribute to their decline. Walker reports, "We now are aware of how detrimental incidental collection and displacement is to the population and it is essential that it does not continue as it has in the past."

The eastern box turtle (Terrapene carolina) is a small to medium-sized turtle with a domed shell. The top of the turtle's shell is variable in color and pattern but is typically marked with yellow to orange streaks and blotches on a dark background. The eastern box turtle is very similar in appearance to the state-endangered Ornate box turtle (Terrapene ornate).

The Natural Resources Commission approved the recommended administrative rule changes on July 20, 2004. The Governor's Office, Attorney General's Office and the Indiana Secretary of State gave final approval of the rule changes on September 23, 2004. This change in the administrative rules puts Indiana in the top ten of states in the country trying to conserve the eastern box turtle.

I just seen that people owned these guys and I'm jelous. I miss evil!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Why don't you get a permit and then get a captive bred one from a breeder?

jason g.

5 Year Member
It's illegal to buy one bred in captive or in the wild and the only way you can get permit is if you already had it before 2004. It would be nice. Turtles as Pets

It is illegal in the State of Indiana to sell native species of turtles, and their subspecies, regardless of whether they are captive-bred or wild-caught. Native turtles include red-eared sliders, painted turtles, map turtles, common snapping turtles, and box turtles. Even if the turtle is not native to Indiana.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It says it's illegal to sell one. It does not say its illegal to possess one.

jason g.

5 Year Member
Sorry I didn't copy the 1st paragraph.

An Indiana law, effective October 23, 2004, prohibits the collection of eastern box turtles (Terrapene carolina) or their parts from the wild in Indiana. Individuals who currently possess an eastern box turtle, a subspecies, or their parts will need to apply for the new box turtle possession permit.
I don't know it's kinda contradicting isn't it or am I just not understanding it. Does it still look like as long as I have a permit I can get one.

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
I think most of you guys are in the us, I'm from the uk, and it still amazes me that you could be wandering thru woods and see these :) how great :) we get rats hedgehogs and dog poop :p exciting stuff.... :D

jason g.

5 Year Member
clare n said:
I think most of you guys are in the us, I'm from the uk, and it still amazes me that you could be wandering thru woods and see these :) how great :) we get rats hedgehogs and dog poop :p exciting stuff.... :D

I am from Indiana USA. All the wildlife is what made me an animal lover. hedgehogs are adorable. Rats and poop not so much. ;) lol I wonder if I could find evil. I put him back were I found him and it says they stay in the area where they were raised. That's my goal this weekend I'm gonna try to find one and take a pic and post it. Key word try. Lol what do you think Tom? Do you think the box turtle I had might be in the same area? I put him back where o found him.

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
I'd love to see pics. I'm lucky enough to live on the coast, this is my view from my balcony, but still only see seagulls, and the occasional rabbit in the early mornings. I've seen a seal once, but never again :( and joggers... Lots of joggers... Lol

image-1024745934.png

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
It says collection, so if you purchase a CB with documentation proving so, im sure you will be granted a permit but a call to the DNR will tell you for sure what you can or cannot do.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I live in N Y and years ago if you went hiking in the woods here, you'd see so many box turtles...all Eastern's. Now you are lucky if you see one. I have a license to Possess and Sell, although I'd never sell any, but that's what it reads. It's only $10 and easy to get. My original license said to Collect or Possess. I don't know why it says this, because it clearly states that the holder of this license cannot collect any animals from the wild. Most of mine are from a rescue or ones that people gave me, some because they weren't in good shape. I see so many in the classified's that I would love to have, but I just can't do it because I know they are WC.

Katherine

5 Year Member
terryo said:
I live in N Y and years ago if you went hiking in the woods here, you'd see so many box turtles...all Eastern's. Now you are lucky if you see one.

I grew up in Connecticut and the influx of box turtles we would find hiking (or even just doing yard work!) fostered my early love for these guys. Although I haven't lived there in ages my parents NEVER see them anymore. So sad how fast that happens...

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Here in Alabama, eastern boxies are state-protected, it is prohibited to buy/sell/trade them, etc....but it is legal to own one per household. The reason behind that is when they first made the law, one of the long-standing herpers is friends with the DCNR and said, "What are you going to do, fine every 10-yr-old who finds a box turtle and wants to keep it?" So they made the 1-boxie-per-home exemption.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
katherine said:
I grew up in Connecticut and the influx of box turtles we would find hiking (or even just doing yard work!) fostered my early love for these guys. Although I haven't lived there in ages my parents NEVER see them anymore. So sad how fast that happens...

My interest in them started on finding them on my Grandparents farm in Virginia, during family trips back East when I was growing up. I think that's why I'm so interested in them. I still remember the thrill of exploring the creek in the cow pasture and coming upon my first one. He was a yellow male, and was just sitting there on the creek bank. I was further enthralled on hearing my Grandma (who was born on the farm) tell me that they used to use old empty box turtle shells for cat food bowls! It probably wasn't true, but it made my imagination run wild.

Steve

jason g.

5 Year Member
terryo said:
I live in N Y and years ago if you went hiking in the woods here, you'd see so many box turtles...all Eastern's. Now you are lucky if you see one. I have a license to Possess and Sell, although I'd never sell any, but that's what it reads. It's only $10 and easy to get. My original license said to Collect or Possess. I don't know why it says this, because it clearly states that the holder of this license cannot collect any animals from the wild. Most of mine are from a rescue or ones that people gave me, some because they weren't in good shape. I see so many in the classified's that I would love to have, but I just can't do it because I know they are WC.

Well this might help me. I was talking to one of the guys I work with and he says he has to relocate at least 1 to 3 boxies a year out of his garden. He said he drives 2 miles from his house and puts them in a wooded area. I told him that I was told relocating was pretty much a death sentence for the turtle. He said oh well my tomatoes are more important. He said he would bring them to me. Well I found this gem. ;);):):)
The Indiana Department of Natural Resources does not encourage the keeping of turtles as pets, but does allow it if the turtle is obtained legally with a hunting or fishing license. Endangered species can not be collected from the wild or be sold in Indiana.
Below is a complete listing of Indiana’s native species of turtles: Common snapping turtle
Alligator snapping turtle (endangered)
Smooth softshell turtle
Spiny softshell turtle
Eastern mud turtle (endangered)
Musk turtle
Midland painted turtle
Western painted turtle
Spotted turtle (endangered) Blanding’s turtle (endangered) Map turtle
False map turtle
Ouachita map turtle Heiroglyphic river cooter (endangered)
Eastern box turtle (protected) Ornate box turtle (endangered)

So it looks like I need to buy a hunting license and go hunting. Without a Shotgun of coarse. I'm hunting a turtle. Actually I'll get a license and have Bob bring me one from his garden. Speaking of that any thoughts on what you all would do about the turtles being relocated.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
StudentoftheReptile said:
Here in Alabama, eastern boxies are state-protected, it is prohibited to buy/sell/trade them, etc....but it is legal to own one per household. The reason behind that is when they first made the law, one of the long-standing herpers is friends with the DCNR and said, "What are you going to do, fine every 10-yr-old who finds a box turtle and wants to keep it?" So they made the 1-boxie-per-home exemption.

In a way, this is an even sadder rule. Why not allow folks to have a pair or a trio? Then more could be possibly be born. Look at all the turtles who are not only not out of the wild population, but are also forever kept from possibly adding to the population of Eastern turtles. :(

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
Well this is MY personal opinnion shared by many, but i suggest you do not go and capture a wild turtle. They do not adapt well to captivity often carry parisites and captivity only stresses them out... Imagine the turtle you may take from the woods, he is 20-30 years old could even be 100! Has lived in those woods his whole life. He hibernates near the same stump each year, looks for hot and ready ladies in the same meadow each spring. He fattens up near the pond each summer and has lived a turtley life the entire time. Now a human come along picks the turtle up and places him in a 20 gallon aquarium where he is expected to be happy. Well he wont be..

I suggest you purchase or RESCUE a turtle in need of a home. Many healthy happy turtles can be found from members right here on TF.org, or better yet Rescue a native turtle from a rehabilitation center or from an undeserving home on CL.

I hope you relize that taking a "protected" boxie from the wild isnt the best option for obtaining one... :(

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
turtlemann2 said:
Well this is MY personal opinnion shared by many, but i suggest you do not go and capture a wild turtle. They do not adapt well to captivity often carry parisites and captivity only stresses them out... Imagine the turtle you may take from the woods, he is 20-30 years old could even be 100! Has lived in those woods his whole life. He hibernates near the same stump each year, looks for hot and ready ladies in the same meadow each spring. He fattens up near the pond each summer and has lived a turtley life the entire time. Now a human come along picks the turtle up and places him in a 20 gallon aquarium where he is expected to be happy. Well he wont be..

I suggest you purchase or RESCUE a turtle in need of a home. Many healthy happy turtles can be found from members right here on TF.org, or better yet Rescue a native turtle from a rehabilitation center or from an undeserving home on CL.

I hope you relize that taking a "protected" boxie from the wild isnt the best option for obtaining one... :(

Scott, that is one of the best posts from the turtles point of view that I've seen in a long time. Couldn't have said it any better.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Ditto, Scott.

I hope I wasn't implying that just because it is "legal" within a particular state to collect box turtles, doesn't make it right. For instance, I personally have no interest in owning a box turtle. The only way I would end up keeping one is if it was "rescued" incidentally without my knowledge and somehow brought to my doorstep. In my perspective, the damage has been done, and at that point, I think the box turtle may have a better chance of surviving under my care than it getting relocated.

Here in my community, I ALWAYS encourage folks to A.) not collect wild box turtles as pets, and B.) if they do rescue them (roadside or otherwise), they need to be able to return them to the site rescued, or find someone who is experienced with turtle husbandry and rehabilitation.

jason g.

5 Year Member
turtlemann2 said:

That's why I asked for opinions. Thank you very much. Defenatly a good point of view. ;)

Hell with it. The law is to vague and it seem that those pricks want you to do exactly what you shouldn't. If you pay for a license. Hunting license Is about $20. It clearly states I cant .buy one. Just me and my sully then.

jason g.

5 Year Member
I made me a turtle. How's it look? Lol; )
2012-05-17_08-21-41_118.jpg

I was gonna get one one way or another. So I just made one lol

Status
Not open for further replies.