Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Jacqui said:
StudentoftheReptile said:
Here in Alabama, eastern boxies are state-protected, it is prohibited to buy/sell/trade them, etc....but it is legal to own one per household. The reason behind that is when they first made the law, one of the long-standing herpers is friends with the DCNR and said, "What are you going to do, fine every 10-yr-old who finds a box turtle and wants to keep it?" So they made the 1-boxie-per-home exemption.

In a way, this is an even sadder rule. Why not allow folks to have a pair or a trio? Then more could be possibly be born. Look at all the turtles who are not only not out of the wild population, but are also forever kept from possibly adding to the population of Eastern turtles. :(

It is a sad rule. Of course, like so many, it is hardly enforcable. EBTs are very abundant in our state now. I imagine the only reason they were protected was because to prevent over-collecting. Obviously, I could have 10 box turtles in my yard and no one would be the wiser.

jason g.

5 Year Member
turtlemann2 said:
thats awesome! lol you have your self an albino :)

Lol I made him out of a penny I smashed with a ball peen hammer and some clay. When the clay hardens a little more I'm gonna try to scribe some detail in it.
By the way I decided to try to get a rescue box turtle. I'm in no hurry but if anyone could help me and tell me some pointers on what to do. I know research is 1st on the list. I've never adopted an animal and since it's a rescue I'm sure there will be some health issues. I want to do it right and try to give an unfortunate boxie a better life. I figure if I have to pay $20 for a hunting license and adopt one and then lie to DNR and tell them I found it. Then that's what I'll do. Is there anyone on here that runs a turtle rescue. As I said I'm in no hurry and need help getting started on adopting. I've Never adopted a turtle but I have adopted a child before. I have the money and plenty of love even for a sick turtle. No rush so I can make sure I do it right.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
From what i can find acording o the Indiana DNR it is legal to obtain one via a hunting or fishing lisence, but ti sounds as though you arent going to do that :),

According to Indiana turtle care Indiana DNR now has new regulations regarding possession of box turtles. You now must have a permit to own box turtles. This permit requires the box turtle to be microchipped and the signature of a DNR conservation officer

To be considered for a turtle or tortoise, please fill out our adoption application. There are 2 types of forms: one for copy and pasting in a word document, the other to be printed and mailed to us. Our adoption fee is a minimum of $25, depending on the turtle/tortoise and its history. We prefer not to ship, but will consider it with the new owners responsible for the shipping fee. Our adoption application will be posted on our new web site as it continues to be published.

We are located in New Palestine, IN. not far from Indianapolis. You can visit our web site at: http://www.Indianaturtlecare.com

This is all i could find :(

drthyclcv

5 Year Member
jason g. said:
about 2 years ago I had a box turtle I found in the woods mushroom hunting named evil. (Kids named him that cause his red eyes.) I had him about 4 months and the kids were letting him walk in the park. A dnr officer asked me where I got it. I told him he threatened me with a ticket if I didn't take it back. Little did I know that any native turtle to Indiana is 100% illegal to sell and you have to own a permit to own. I didn't want to sale him but my kids were heartbroken. I got a sulcata now. It's not native.;) lol by the way after researching it I understand why. People hunted them to where they are few left cause of the pet trade. Who knew.
The eastern box turtle is tottering between maintaining stable populations and becoming endangered. "Prohibiting the taking of the eastern box turtle in Indiana is one of the best ways that we can help protect this species," said State Herpetologist, Zack Walker.

Current studies reveal that male eastern box turtles must hear or see a female before the mating process will even begin. Low animal numbers in populations prevent adequate contact between males and females. Additionally, we now know that box turtles have a homing instinct. Turtles displaced by humans will instinctively attempt to return to their home habitat, often times forcing them to travel through unsafe conditions.

Past collection has already harmed many box turtle populations. The loss habitat and an increasing number of roads through their habitat also contribute to their decline. Walker reports, "We now are aware of how detrimental incidental collection and displacement is to the population and it is essential that it does not continue as it has in the past."

The eastern box turtle (Terrapene carolina) is a small to medium-sized turtle with a domed shell. The top of the turtle's shell is variable in color and pattern but is typically marked with yellow to orange streaks and blotches on a dark background. The eastern box turtle is very similar in appearance to the state-endangered Ornate box turtle (Terrapene ornate).

The Natural Resources Commission approved the recommended administrative rule changes on July 20, 2004. The Governor's Office, Attorney General's Office and the Indiana Secretary of State gave final approval of the rule changes on September 23, 2004. This change in the administrative rules puts Indiana in the top ten of states in the country trying to conserve the eastern box turtle.

I just seen that people owned these guys and I'm jelous. I miss evil!!!
Hi would you like to adopt 2 Ornate box turtles, they are not from your eara and are 4" in size, looks like male and female, I have just lost my house and can't keep anymore. I am just asking for shipping money. Dorothy

jason g.

5 Year Member
drthyclcv said:
Hi would you like to adopt 2 Ornate box turtles, they are not from your eara and are 4" in size, looks like male and female, I have just lost my house and can't keep anymore. I am just asking for shipping money. Dorothy

Where are you from..I'll need to do some checking I know they are on the endangered list. Can you post pics. Even if I can't someone else may be able to help you out. I have to be sure I do what's in the best interest of the turtle so I need to do some reading about inclosures diets etc. ;)

jason g.

5 Year Member
I decided until I finish Rodney's winter enclosure it wouldnt be very responsible of me to take on another turtle. Soon though I've been digging and fixing stuff up scince noon. It 10 now and I just got outta the shower.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
All the boxers I have are either long term captive (which in itself is sad ) or the victims of development. One of my reasons for starting my conservation group was so that boxers in captivity can contribute to their species. Other wise if they don't have a chance to breed they are effectively dead to their species. Though my group (which currently consists of myself) has many people that say they like what I'm trying to do don't respond when I email them to get contact info.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
id be interested in knowing or hearing more about what your doing, a captive breeding population. you should totally PM me with some details :)

Status
Not open for further replies.