CBW Permits/ species and misc.??

Newmy1

Location (City and/or State)
Northern Wisconsin
First i'll say I'm not sure if this would be the right thread and I've yet to update MY profile with pics of my tort/setup etc..etc...which will be as soon as new setup is completed but I'm asking ANY permit holders/ especially tort breeders familiar with the topic for help. I'm inquiring regarding a separate species I might be obtaining and overall to establish some sources for a possible purchase a year or 2 from now with Radiated or other listed species requiring legal documentation so here's the few ?'s I'll start with....
1. If a permit application is sent, how strict are they in their inquiry for other species owned etc.. besides the proposed one for which a license is being sought?
2. And this is a BIG ONE, if another species is owned that is listed a Critically Endangered (non native to U.S.) but was purchased legally and has proof of being C.B., how does this change or alter just the permit for a tort (or any other regulated) species and applying for a permit??!
3. This is more just establishing contacts but....is there any members on here who work with species like Radiated and/or Star species that would be a good knowledgeable reference to both purchase and work with obtaining a permit when the time comes?
Like I said this was a long post for someone with little in their profile but it'll be filling up soon but any help and people I could work with would be awesome and I have faith members on here got me!
Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. You just apply for the species you want on your permit. Other species are not relevant.
2. They don't ask about your other species. And the only tortoise species currently covered with a CBW permit are galops and radiata. Your possession of other species is not relevant to any discussion of CBW permits.
3. Don't need permits for any of the stars and there are lots of radiated keepers here on the forum. Look in that section and you can send them private messages.

I have attended "seminars" on CBW permitting details. There are a lot of misconceptions. You do not need CBW permits to possess, breed, sell or buy any tortoise species. You can buy as many as you want with no permits, as long as you buy them within your own state. Once you own them you can breed them and sell the babies to anyone you want in your own state, and neither party needs a permit. You can also give them away or give them to other keepers on a breeding loan across state lines with no permits.

The only thing you need a CBW permit for is to buy or sell a radiated tortoise or a galapagos tortoise, across state lines.

This info is straight from the mouth of the lawyer who writes everyone's permits and gets them approved.

Newmy1

Northern Wisconsin
Thanks Tom, and that's exactly what the permit would be for is buying from out of state and shipping across state lines. The other species was something I wanted assurance/ clarification on and it sounds like YOU are the guy who would know so that does rest my mind in that aspect. The Radiated purchase would be down the road but i'll definitely post in the Radiated threads for some references etc..
Appreciate it and any other help!

parrotlady

5 Year Member
If and when you need permits, you may want to contact Alan Shoemaker. He will be more than happy to talk to you about the requirements for the application. Currently it costs $200.00 and takes approximately 4 months to obtain. So if you are looking to purchase out of state you will need to plan accordingly. The permit is good for five years and you will need to provide a yearly report in the winter. Hope this helps.