No plate for Bertha

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Someone gave me a tip and I've looked back at posts and I can't find who it was, but they were spot on:
I have an ill Red Foot that only eats a little fruit. She wont eat out in her yard. Only in her house and she wont eat out of a plate or a bowl or even off of a piece of lettuce..Only off of the ground.
She came from a breeder and they were always fed by just dumping the stuff in the dirt.
If you have a tortoise that is new to you and wont look at food, try placing it right in the substrate.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Reminds me of a friend who adopted a 6 yr old lab mix from
the pound. She got the dog home & gave it the command to "sit".
But the dog wouldn't sit. Her little 4 yr old daughter came over &
told the dog to "sit down" and the dog did it !
Guess she only gave it half a command on the first attempt !

Turtlepete

South Florida
Someone gave me a tip and I've looked back at posts and I can't find who it was, but they were spot on:
I have an ill Red Foot that only eats a little fruit. She wont eat out in her yard. Only in her house and she wont eat out of a plate or a bowl or even off of a piece of lettuce..Only off of the ground.
She came from a breeder and they were always fed by just dumping the stuff in the dirt.
If you have a tortoise that is new to you and wont look at food, try placing it right in the substrate.

Lots of finicky ones are this way. Seems to be mostly forest/tropical tortoises, as far as I've seen. This is especially common with WC animals. They highly prefer foraging over eating a chopped up salad. A lot of mine won't even touch a prepared salad.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Lots of finicky ones are this way. Seems to be mostly forest/tropical tortoises, as far as I've seen. This is especially common with WC animals. They highly prefer foraging over eating a chopped up salad. A lot of mine won't even touch a prepared salad.
New to me, but I wont forget it.