new tortoise help :D (starter tortoise?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
Most of the good starter torts are on the small size, but with enough research you can learn to take care of any.

And the only torts that are supposed to do well in groups are redfoot, and even then they don't always get along. Most species are fairly territorial and like their own space.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: new tortoise help :D (starter tortoise?)

zman7590 said:
ok i dont wan2 sound dumb but can someone make a simple list of types of torts that fit in these categoryzzz...

Can do well in minnesota..
grows a good size but not not huge (150+lbs)
friendly curious and can possibly be with other torts
good breeder once old enough
good starter tort

Minnesota: Can't help

Grows to a goid size: What's "a good size" in inches? How much room do you have for an enclosure and can the tort go outside are more important questions.

Friendly, curious: Most species. Russians are particularly outgoing.

Can possibly be with other torts: I refer you to my first post... a happy tort is a solitary tort. Aldabras get on well as a herd, but they are HUGE!

Good breeder: I will leave you to the breeders. My recommendation is that breeding is good, but you have to be prepared to keep your torts separately apart from introducing them to mate.

Good starter tort: Testudo - Greeks, Russians, etc - are good starter torts, but they definitely do best alone. All torts need space to roam and this is best provided outside once they get to 4 or 5 inches in length... which doesn't take long. Russians are particularly space needy, but Greeks aren't much better... especially the males.

If you get more than one tort, you must keep them entirely separately, in quarantine, for a good 6 months to ensure that neither makes the other sick.

zman7590

5 Year Member
does anybody know of breeders online that you have purchased torts from?! i just dont wanna buy from someone that doesnt have a clue about there torts ya know?

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1372859833.227577.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1372859848.098065.jpg
These are Greg T's Leo hatchlings

You'll have to do some more research, but if you'd like a tortoise on the larger side a sulcata or leopard might be good. Since this is a first time tort, a hatchling is a little harder to care for so you would probably be better off with one that's a little older, well started. If you really want a hatchling though, there are lots of people here ready to help you and answer questions. Lots of leopard & sulcata owners too. Some people have been very successful as first time tort owners with sulcatas & leopards. just do your research and find out what type of tortoise fits your home, lifestyle, and budget. Don't just jump right in to purchasing one just because it's cute. You first have to make sure your size requirements fit the tortoise's needs. Don't rush, take your time and get all the info. Greg T is a good breeder, send a message saying you're interested and he'll give you the info. Here's a pic of one of his hatchling tortoises and its dad.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1372860426.506048.jpg
:)

Last edited by a moderator:

zman7590

5 Year Member
greg just sent me pix. i asked for pix of the ones available and (hopefully) he will send em today! i have decided on leopard tort!!!! it fits the lifestyle and humidity and everthing. i have been researching everythin hardcore and i even made his setup! all i need now is the tort... hopefully i will fall in love with one of gregTz torts!!!!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Have you gotten your tortoise yet?

Make sure you do your research on proper (humid!) hatchling care... Leopard torts are very prone to pyramiding, so natural sunlight, proper hydration, good food will be very important.

zman7590 said:
greg just sent me pix. i asked for pix of the ones available and (hopefully) he will send em today! i have decided on leopard tort!!!! it fits the lifestyle and humidity and everthing. i have been researching everythin hardcore and i even made his setup! all i need now is the tort... hopefully i will fall in love with one of gregTz torts!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.