New Tortoise BAD Shell Rot & possible MBD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxflowersxx

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Jersey
I currently have 2 redfoots. I just got the second one a couple days ago and am in the process of building them a new tortoise table. Luckily, I didn't put them together & put the new one in a smaller tank just in case it was sick. I didn't want to risk Shellby's (my other redfoot) health. Last night while soaking both of them, I noticed spots on the new tortoises shell and after researching it here on this site, I found out its shell rot. I have a few questions though.

First off, is this a male or a female? The guy at Petco said it was a male but I'm not sure and tend to not believe anything Petco has to say.

Secondly, does this tortoise have MBD? I'm not sure how to tell if it had MBD or not. I just want to make sure and take the best care I can for this little one.

I'm on my way to the store to pick up Betadine and Nolvesan to treat the shell rot and get that taken care of at least. I won't be introducing the tortoises until I get the shell rot under control.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

IMG_67891024x682.jpg

IMG_67871024x682.jpg

IMG_67861024x682.jpg

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I see nothing in that little tortoise that suggests MBD. AS long as you feed a varied, calcium rich diet, you shouldn't have any problems.

The shell rot isn't that bad either, it looks old, I would still do a full treatment to be safe but I wouldn't worry over much.

Of course you do still have to quarantine. 2-6 months is the minimum.

xxflowersxx

5 Year Member
South Jersey
kyryah said:
I see nothing in that little tortoise that suggests MBD. AS long as you feed a varied, calcium rich diet, you shouldn't have any problems.

The shell rot isn't that bad either, it looks old, I would still do a full treatment to be safe but I wouldn't worry over much.

Of course you do still have to quarantine. 2-6 months is the minimum.

Any chance that you can tell if its a male or a female?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I agree with KYRYAH in that there doesn't appear to be any abnormal shell growth or anything else suggesting MBD.
The plastron has some fungal issues that if treated now will in time will be barely noticeable.
As for the sex it looks like a female but it is too small to make an accurate guess.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*lets out a sigh of relief* When you said BAD shell rot I was visualizing much worse then it is. So glad it's not all that bad, but yes it is bad enough. Sounds like you have everything under control and you don't know how happy it makes me to hear you are doing a quarantine. Looks like a pretty nice, new addition to your place.:D:tort:

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Dang, Carl answered already. When the Guru speaks, there is little we mortals can add! :)

xxflowersxx

5 Year Member
South Jersey
Thanks everyone! I'm getting ready to treat his shell rot now. I feel bad because my boyfriend has to do it for me as I'm allergic to iodine and don't want to risk a hospital trip. I'll supervise and make sure he does it right though.

I'm finishing up their tortoise table and I'll put Shellby in there tonight. Then I'll move the new one into the bigger enclosure with only paper towel substrate until the shell rot heals. I was calling it Philbert but if its a girl I guess I'll have to think of a new name. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.