Still having shell rot issues :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedFootTanaka

5 Year Member
so after scrubbing with betadine and using clotrimazole cream and keeping her in a dry tank for a week I thought i was done with the shell rot issue, Especially when she started growing for the first time i have had her. She had stayed at just over 5 and a half inches from when i first got her for about 3 or 4 months. As soon as i treated the shell rot and had her back in a good tank she grew to just under 6 and a quarter in 3 weeks.

Her top shel is doing great. The new growth is coming in nice and even with no more pyramiding.

But her plastron hasn't started to heal yet and i think i see new signs of shell rot AGAIN!! This is my second time treating the shell rot and i have tried all sorts of substraights. So far the only stuff that keeps it moist enough for her but doesn't make the shell rot worse in coconut soil.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x335/Josh_Kentzel/Tanaka/IMG_0176.jpg
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x335/Josh_Kentzel/Tanaka/IMG_0178.jpg
Has anyone else had to do more than 2 treatments to rid there RF of shell rot?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Aw, isn't she pretty! I really love those red dots on their legs. I'm guessing I'm going to have to bite the bullet one day and get me one!

Did you use the athlete's foot cream? Maybe you can try keeping the tank basically dry, but put moist sphagnum moss in the hide. And raise it up a bit in front so she gets in under it instead of on top of it.

And, to answer your question...you continue to treat the fungus until its all gone. If it comes back, then it really wasn't gone.

LindaF

5 Year Member
I have had to treat three times for Shell fungus in 6 months. It is frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.