Shell Rot proof pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

drift2sea

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Some where in time
This is for any one who might not know about this really inexpensive method for curing shell rot.These pics provided are just 3 days apart this treatment promoted safe, fast healing.I bought some generic lotramin antifungal creme for about 5.00.I got some Povidone Iodine 10% solution[generic betadine] for 3.00.First day of treatment i used a soft tooth brush and applied the betadine to the shell rot areas on the plastron no dilution.When i was done cleaned the betadine off the plastron after letting it soak in a bit.The betadine halts the fungal growth[shell rot is a fungal infection].Next i dried her off and set her on a towel for 5 min to get the area completely dry.Next i took a Q tip and generously applied the lotramin antifungal creme to the shell rot areas.Be really thorough when you do this get and get the medicine as good into the affected.I waited 1 min or 2 then cleared off the excess creme with a clean soft towel.The next day i used a 1 /3 diluted solution of betadine the 1 part being water rest betadine.That was my last application of betadine.Dont use betadine no more than twice is will destroy new cell growth that we are working hard to get back.I applied the creme one a day after that and as my pics prove it is a very cheap and safe method cost me around 8 bucks and a little time and effort.Wonder how much the vet bill for this is.Im pretty sure this ones cheaper.Thanks TF for giving me knowledge,ill pass it on.IMAG0100.jpgIMAG0127.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

drift2sea

5 Year Member
Some where in time
It was really worrying me about this.Now in confident well get this.Im so suprised that it would heal the rot so fast.Dropping the humidity to 70& really helped to manage the moisture levels and didnt bother her at all.I also put some slightly acidic peat moss in her bedding area to help out a little .As anyone can see this is a very succsessful treatment to kill shell rot.Thanks for letting me know about it.

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
Very nice job. Amazing results for such a short period of time. Good for you for catching it and treating it.

drift2sea

5 Year Member
Some where in time
Thank you,I am suprised that Petco wouldnt treat something like this.I seen them move another tort in the same tank,no changing substrate or sterilization of any type.They are just continually spreading the infection to other healthy torts.Continuing the cycle of selling sick animals to people.It just creates a vector of illness

OperaticAddict

5 Year Member
Clermont, FL
drift2sea said:
This is for any one who might not know about this really inexpensive method for curing shell rot.These pics provided are just 3 days apart this treatment promoted safe, fast healing.I bought some generic lotramin antifungal creme for about 5.00.I got some Povidone Iodine 10% solution[generic betadine] for 3.00.First day of treatment i used a soft tooth brush and applied the betadine to the shell rot areas on the plastron no dilution.When i was done cleaned the betadine off the plastron after letting it soak in a bit.The betadine halts the fungal growth[shell rot is a fungal infection].Next i dried her off and set her on a towel for 5 min to get the area completely dry.Next i took a Q tip and generously applied the lotramin antifungal creme to the shell rot areas.Be really thorough when you do this get and get the medicine as good into the affected.I waited 1 min or 2 then cleared off the excess creme with a clean soft towel.The next day i used a 1 /3 diluted solution of betadine the 1 part being water rest betadine.That was my last application of betadine.Dont use betadine no more than twice is will destroy new cell growth that we are working hard to get back.I applied the creme one a day after that and as my pics prove it is a very cheap and safe method cost me around 8 bucks and a little time and effort.Wonder how much the vet bill for this is.Im pretty sure this ones cheaper.Thanks TF for giving me knowledge,ill pass it on.

Great Info To Have! Thanx!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There is an article about this in the Articles section.

You may want to be careful with the acidic moss- my guy's shell rot seems to be directly related to using it. My theory (and it is only a theory!) is that the damp moss creates a mildly acidic solution that softens the plastron scutes when they remain in contact with it all night.

drift2sea

5 Year Member
Some where in time
From what ive seen by the stores practices they are probably responsible for spreading the fungus themselves.They took my tortoise put it in the box,then took another tortoise and put it in the same tank.No changing of substrate or sterilization of any type.Potentially infecting another tortoise so someone can buy another sick pet.Their sanitation practices are of need of improvement.As far as it is now im keeping the tank on 10% less humidity to keep some of the moisture down as to not encourage any new fungal growth till i get this knocked out.She is doing fine with the change and im not seeing anything but improvement.But thanks for the tip im going to keep an eye on that moss situation

Status
Not open for further replies.