New sulcata pen

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tom Alfalfa? That has an awful lot of protien, I've avoided it for years
Yes. Alfalfa is a great tortoise food. I avoided it for years too when we all thought protein was bad for tortoises. It isn't. Elevated protein intake can be detrimental over the long term for tortoise suffering from dehydration. Plant based protein as part of a varied diet is excellent for tortoises. They need it. Been feeding it to mine for years.

One of the top producers of sulcatas in the world feeds them almost exclusively on alfalfa hay. He puts bales in and the tortoises just eat it all the time. He has 100s of adults and produces many thousands of babies annually. I don't agree with the practice, but his tortoises are alive and well.
IMG_2736.JPG

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yes. Alfalfa is a great tortoise food. I avoided it for years too when we all thought protein was bad for tortoises. It isn't. Elevated protein intake can be detrimental over the long term for tortoise suffering from dehydration. Plant based protein as part of a varied diet is excellent for tortoises. They need it. Been feeding it to mine for years.

One of the top producers of sulcatas in the world feeds them almost exclusively on alfalfa hay. He puts bales in and the tortoises just eat it all the time. He has 100s of adults and produces many thousands of babies annually. I don't agree with the practice, but his tortoises are alive and well.
View attachment 314955
I am interested because hay is so much easier to feed all winter, and I have made an effort to avoid alfalfa...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am interested because hay is so much easier to feed all winter, and I have made an effort to avoid alfalfa...
I don't like the stems in alfalfa hay. Adults can obviously handle it, as seen in the pic, but it bothers me. I grow fresh alfalfa for my tortoises. If I needed it for winter, I'd get the pellets, soak them, and mix them in with the other food for the day.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
More picture of the walls going in and the tortoise house moved to it location. I have thought long and hard about what to build the walls out of. I have used many things in the past that have worked nicely but I was looking for something more this time. With these “pots” I will be able to grow lots of tortoise food right at the pen. ( please excuse the smoky pictures it was a very smoke filled summer)View attachment 314191View attachment 314192View attachment 314193View attachment 314194View attachment 314195View attachment 314196
Dude... that’s really smart!! Luv it

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
So it has been decided we need a few more pens a little faster then I had planed. So.. the tractors came back for a visit and we broke ground on a few more pens. 3053DF76-9472-44C2-9F3F-6F04BD03E78D.jpeg4410F9BC-EB6A-4AD1-9E51-2379BE42AB07.jpeg2921C4CD-714E-4BB6-AF75-44C8E739CA05.jpeg3B3B3B8D-4376-42C9-9B0F-B07D3C666B0A.jpeg
We worked late C180861F-ED8B-4D07-A752-C9768225C480.jpeg
Next morning the power and water are were we need them

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Mark clued me into this thread, Thanks Mark. This is all very interesting. I have used pallets held in place with T posts for the adult Manouria. I can't use them for planters though, that's a great utility added feature. Thanks for posting all the photos, it makes it al very clear to see.