New sulcata pen

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
Really nice job, Aaron. I love the way things are turning out. I feel great about Crush and the 3 ladies being there now. I may call on you to see about some equipment availability when Brenda and I move to new acreage! I've been going through lots of options on fencing myself. Really like the barrels and a lot less $$ than most any other option. Plus it gets the plants fairly well protected from gophers, voles, etc. Many plastic drums now are made UV resistant. Do you know if these are? Paint would help them last a lot longer if they are not.

I have some really nice spineless cactus. I handle them with no gloves at all and rarely ever get a single little glochid in my hands. The tortoises all love it. Also got a few other varieties going now from @Tom Next time you're here we'll have to harvest you some cuttings. Brenda and I are still planning to come up and visit you guys... and Crush!

Keep the updates coming!
The other fringe benefit I’m seeing from the drum fence is there is no straight line so even when walking the fence line (yes even with 3/4 an acre they still walk the fence line though admittedly a lot less) they don’t rub there shell on the fence and I guess even if they did it’s plastic right

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m a little north of Sacramento been a wile seance I was down to Fresno might be a fun trip!
Dude! Go see Yvonne's place. I stop by for a visit whenever I'm in her area. Lots of neat stuff there, and I like visiting with Yvonne in person.

I've got a dozen different types of opuntia at my place too. Your welcome to as much as you want. I donate a 1000+ pounds a year to my friend's adult Galapagos herd nearby, so I have plenty to go around. I can mail you some too, if you are not doing down this way. Spring time is the best time to plant them, but you can stick them in the ground anytime really.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nice fence idea, in AZ desert two or three years tops before the barrels are brittle and cracking up from the sun. Is that one row painted? Paint will extend their life.

I never thought of the plastic breaking down over time. I'll be curious to see how long it lasts there.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Dude! Go see Yvonne's place. I stop by for a visit whenever I'm in her area. Lots of neat stuff there, and I like visiting with Yvonne in person.

I've got a dozen different types of opuntia at my place too. Your welcome to as much as you want. I donate a 1000+ pounds a year to my friend's adult Galapagos herd nearby, so I have plenty to go around. I can mail you some too, if you are not doing down this way. Spring time is the best time to plant them, but you can stick them in the ground anytime really.
I won’t be down your way probably tell next ttpg but I’ll be sure to put your place on my list!! If you want to mail me some that would be great! See how many you can get in a flat rate box haha and I’ll Paypal you the shipping!

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
You painted the barrels? Did you do all of them?
Nope no paint up at the top of the hill by the house There are some blue pots I would have preferred all the same color but didn’t want to wait any more so there are 3 colors of pots and I kept all the same colors together. It will make more sense when I get the complete enclosure pictures ( hopefully tomorrow it’s supposed to be nice)

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
AA05950B-1FAA-4485-801A-65773B2E4485.jpeg38E3F676-8F85-49E2-9852-462CF1EFF104.jpeg60E2B432-2854-4860-9744-C2C20E073876.jpegFD36D6FC-A768-4E81-9665-B397FE4C5984.jpeg
General enclosure pictures as it sits today from the 4 corners. I can’t wait to see it with all the pots full of edible plants!!
B9431881-4B26-466C-A0E3-AC49685D31E2.jpeg
This smaller pen I call sick bay. It’s not done yet but will be a fully set up enclosure for new arrivals and or for when a tortoise needs some alone time haha

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I just need to get the guest house build hahah

I would be fine in that gorgeous yard of yours!
WITH THE TORTOISES!
(Of course I’ll have to get accustomed to pumpkin?)
Can you throw in (on occasion)
some spaghetti and meat balls?
Even just in a corner for me! ??
Simply gorgeous!!!!!

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I would be fine in that gorgeous yard of yours!
WITH THE TORTOISES!
(Of course I’ll have to get accustomed to pumpkin?)
Can you throw in (on occasion)
some spaghetti and meat balls?
Even just in a corner for me! ??
Simply gorgeous!!!!!
I think you’d have to stay in the small pen since you would be a “new arrival.”?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I will bring my own shed!!!
I am dead serious. In Avon, NC (OBX) across the road his a one story house with a double door shed out back. While vacationing one year I was surprised when the shed opened and a man walked out with a cup of coffee. Inside was fully reclinanble LazBoy, an old cabinet style big screen and a mini kitchenette (Coffee maker, Toaster oven, and a mini fridge. He had a ranger pickup and a motorcycle. Anything happens to my wife I know how I can live out my days!