Watering a DT pen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

way2gfy

5 Year Member
I have read/seen several different ideas for building an outside enclosure and have many ideas running around in my brain.

I am going to start building my Desert Tortoise pen for Squirt to have when next Spring comes.

I was wondering if I need to supply a small water bubbler line (waters an estimate of 2 gallons per hour) to the pen to help keep the grass watered? This will just run for a couple mins a few times a day in the summer and it is nothing enough to drown him out.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Dee

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Dee I have my sprinklers on right now in my DT pens. Though I do not remember what size squirt is mine are over 8 inches.
They love the sprinklers. They actually come out of their homes and just walk around or lie in it when I put them on. It also allows me to deep water the grass so that the roots go deep and they don't kill it off so fast.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I also use sprinklers in my desert tortoise and sulcata pens. As long as the tortoise has a way to get dry and warm, its not a problem. After all, it DOES rain in the desert!

Yvonne

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Mine DT runs from the sprinkler but he does love to drink the dirty water when I water with a hose right from the ground, completly ignoring his nice clean bowl of water.

way2gfy

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. I can't wait to start building the pen.

Crazy1..... Squirt fits in the palm of my hand so his shell is about 5 inches head to tail.

Status
Not open for further replies.