New sulcata pen

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
If you plan on plant in half of the total barrels that is still a huge job!
For sure a big job! I plan to plant in every barrel will take me some time but I’ll get there. This enclosure has 287 barrels so ya big job haha but the thought of all the food it will make will keep me going!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
View attachment 314856
Planted a few thornless blackberry plants yesterday. This is just a start I plan to plant a bunch more blackberry
OMG! Blackberries are so invasive, horrible and nasty, thorns or not. And I can't stand all that room you have. I'm sure you have plans already but here's my 1 cent worth...Grapes, my Sulcata love the leafs and the box turtles and neighbors eat the grapes...
100_4267.JPG

Plants lots of Rose of Sharon bushes they grow and make great shade and are a very favorite of my Sulcata, they eat the flowers and the leafs
100_4536.JPG
Oh hell, why am I doing this to/for you? You probably know all this...I'm sorry
100_4547.JPG100_4169.JPG

Last edited:

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
OMG! Blackberries are so invasive, horrible and nasty thorns or not. And I can't stand all that room you have. I'm sure you have plans already buy here's my 1 cent...Grapes, my Sulcata love the leafs and the box turtles and neighbors eat the grapes...
View attachment 314868

Plants lots of Rose of Sharon bushes they grow and make great shade and are a very favorite of my Sulcata, they eat the flowers and the leafs
View attachment 314877
Oh hell, why am I doing this to/for you? You probably know all this...I'm sorry
View attachment 314878
You are so right! My brother started 70 grape cuttings for me last month another couple of months and we will see how many take I hoping for good odds and I have my eye on 10 rose of Sharon but seems like I can’t get them tell spring. Im
Not worried about the black berries I will be putting in a trellis and keeping them up and my tortoises love the leafs and I love the berries haha win win please keep the ideas coming I’ve got lots of pots to fill.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
A trellis and all that will not stop them from sending shoots out underground to start vines all over.
My hated blackberry bramble completely covers the width of my yard. I find new starts in my front yard many feet away from my back yard. My Sulcata will not eat the leafs, and I only bake with the berries. Anyhow, I seriously ask you to reconsider berries. It's not a win-win situation, it's a maybe win-definitely lose thing... :confused:
I am on my deck looking north
100_6248.JPG
All that vegetation is blackberries, here's east
100_6247.JPG
and south, it grows behind Bob's shed. I really cannot stress enough, invasive, please rethink them.
100_6249.JPG

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
A trellis and all that will not stop them from sending shoots out underground to start vines all over.
My hated blackberry bramble completely covers the width of my yard. I find new starts in my front yard many feet away from my back yard. My Sulcata will not eat the leafs, and I only bake with the berries. Anyhow, I seriously ask you to reconsider berries. It's not a win-win situation, it's a maybe win-definitely lose thing... :confused:
I am on my deck looking north
View attachment 314879
All that vegetation is blackberries, here's east
View attachment 314880
and south, it grows behind Bob's shed. I really cannot stress enough, invasive, please rethink them.
View attachment 314881
I understand your hatred of blackberries however they will be growing in pots so I'm
not as concerned about underground spread just vines touching down and my tortoises seem to love the leaves. I have grown this thornless verity for several years to good effect. Perhaps the thornless are less vigors perhaps my dryer climate makes the difference but In my neck of the woods blackberries only go that crazy near water ways. So I will press on with my plan and hope to eat many tasty berries. And should I be wrong and they start to take over in a few years I will eat my words as I rip them out and invite you to Laugh at me.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I understand your hatred of blackberries however they will be growing in pots so I'm
not as concerned about underground spread just vines touching down and my tortoises seem to love the leaves. I have grown this thornless verity for several years to good effect. Perhaps the thornless are less vigors perhaps my dryer climate makes the difference but In my neck of the woods blackberries only go that crazy near water ways. So I will press on with my plan and hope to eat many tasty berries. And should I be wrong and they start to take over in a few years I will eat my words as I rip them out and invite you to Laugh at me.
If you also grape you could have side hustle--- wine!

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
I know up here the thornless are less hardy, so you're probably right about them being less vigorous. With them being in planters, you're probably pretty safe anyway... as long as you don't let them get out of the pots and get established. They will root where they touch down and will eventually find their way through any drainage holes you made.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've grown to love lavatera. It flowers all year long for me. They don't love the leaves, but they will eat some. The flowers are great to mix in and all my torts love them.

I'll be sending you the African hibiscus seeds soon, but you'll have to wait for spring for those anyway.

You can also do blue hibiscus.

How about Tyler's testudo mix from tortoisesupply.com?

And alfalfa is a no brainier. Clover too? Get some seeds from some broad leaf or narrow leaf plantain.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I've grown to love lavatera. It flowers all year long for me. They don't love the leaves, but they will eat some. The flowers are great to mix in and all my torts love them.

I'll be sending you the African hibiscus seeds soon, but you'll have to wait for spring for those anyway.

And alfalfa is a no brainier. Clover too? Get some seeds from some broad leaf or narrow leaf plantain.
I’ve tried the testudo mix before and really liked it and have a few buckets planed for it! I’ll have to look in to the rest all sound like great ideas!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
For sure a big job! I plan to plant in every barrel will take me some time but I’ll get there. This enclosure has 287 barrels so ya big job haha but the thought of all the food it will make will keep me going!
Just where did you get all those barrels? Do they have drain holes? You gonna put in a drip system?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I’ve tried the testudo mix before and really liked it and have a few buckets planed for it! I’ll have to look in to the rest all sound like great ideas!
Tom Alfalfa? That has an awful lot of protien, I've avoided it for years

I would never laugh at you, I may giggle behind your back...
omg! I just thought about where you are...so the next time I go to see my sis I'll stop by and you can take me to In n Out...there are only 2 that I know of Oregon, in Salem and Medford.
My favorite RofS tree
100_4759.JPG

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You passed on info I didn't know, blackberries and water. People in Oregon don't tan, they rust. It is raining right now, in fact, for about the last month or more it has rained. My Sulcata pens are flooded. That's why b'berries grow so good here. ah ha

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Tom Alfalfa? That has an awful lot of protien, I've avoided it for years

I would never laugh at you, I may giggle behind your back...
omg! I just thought about where you are...so the next time I go to see my sis I'll stop by and you can take me to In n Out...there are only 2 that I know of Oregon, in Salem and Medford.
My favorite RofS tree
View attachment 314910
We will look forward to you visit!!! In and out is just ten miles from my house we will get burgers and go tortoise watching haha