New sulcata pen

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
New question for someone who is considering getting a baby sulcata: Do you own a tractor?

Follow up question: How many tractors?
Haha tractors sure make some jobs go smother ! I don’t own one YET myself but am lucky enough to have good friends willing to loan me one or 3 haha

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I did have a source for the drums though it was quickly exhausted I turned to craigslist for the rest turns out buying in quantity brings the price down

Are the drums new or used? If used, did you know what had been in them? Or doesn't it matter?

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Planted a few Alevera plants. I am now on the lookout for a good source for spineless cactus I want to plant around 60 stands
I posted this picture before on the forum and got a comment about the bear in the background. Funny enough that “bear” is in the background in another picture in this thread though she is much smaller in that picture 849EF5AE-72D2-4EF8-BE07-03169830582F.jpeg
1E74ED23-6864-4B39-8900-7AB73554BB4E.jpeg

JNSNannahenson170

Saginaw TX
Late this last summer I we moved to a new home. So of corse the sulcatas needed the biggest best pen yet! It’s still a bit of a work in progress but I thought I’d start sharing. It will take me a few posts to get caught up to the work bear with me.View attachment 314186
We picked the spot and started bringing in building supplies View attachment 314187
And more building supplies View attachment 314188View attachment 314190
And begin to build walls
View attachment 314189
Can't wait to see it finished.

Fresno
Planted a few Alevera plants. I am now on the lookout for a good source for spineless cactus I want to plant around 60 stands
I posted this picture before on the forum and got a comment about the bear in the background. Funny enough that “bear” is in the background in another picture in this thread though she is much smaller in that picture View attachment 314286
View attachment 314285
Where are you located? I am in Fresno and could provide some cactus cuttings if you are having trouble locating any.

PXL_20201229_193501729.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Really nice job, Aaron. I love the way things are turning out. I feel great about Crush and the 3 ladies being there now. I may call on you to see about some equipment availability when Brenda and I move to new acreage! I've been going through lots of options on fencing myself. Really like the barrels and a lot less $$ than most any other option. Plus it gets the plants fairly well protected from gophers, voles, etc. Many plastic drums now are made UV resistant. Do you know if these are? Paint would help them last a lot longer if they are not.

I have some really nice spineless cactus. I handle them with no gloves at all and rarely ever get a single little glochid in my hands. The tortoises all love it. Also got a few other varieties going now from @Tom Next time you're here we'll have to harvest you some cuttings. Brenda and I are still planning to come up and visit you guys... and Crush!

Keep the updates coming!

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Really nice job, Aaron. I love the way things are turning out. I feel great about Crush and the 3 ladies being there now. I may call on you to see about some equipment availability when Brenda and I move to new acreage! I've been going through lots of options on fencing myself. Really like the barrels and a lot less $$ than most any other option. Plus it gets the plants fairly well protected from gophers, voles, etc. Many plastic drums now are made UV resistant. Do you know if these are? Paint would help them last a lot longer if they are not.

I have some really nice spineless cactus. I handle them with no gloves at all and rarely ever get a single little glochid in my hands. The tortoises all love it. Also got a few other varieties going now from @Tom Next time you're here we'll have to harvest you some cuttings. Brenda and I are still planning to come up and visit you guys... and Crush!

Keep the updates coming!
Sounds great mark! Thank you
I never checked if these drums where uv resistant but the test drums I planted in 5 years ago ( and those drums had already been sitting in the sun a few years before I got them) to see if I could prove my concept are still holding strong so I feel good these will last a very long time. Guess I will find out haha
Paint would be more of a guarantee for sure
Come on over any time mark we would love to have you