New (potential) Russian tortoise owner

MintyTortoise

Hi,

My name is Stephanie and I live in the SF Bay area (Berkeley). I'm new to the forum and reptiles in general. I'm looking to adopt a healthy Russian tortoise, any age (I also posted in the For Sale forum).

I first learned about Russian tortoises because my friend has one, and I think they are the coolest. My husband and I are looking for a pet since we recently had to put down our beloved dog of 14 years, and it is pretty lonely without him. We are also expecting our first child in a few months, so we will be too busy for a dog, I think. From what I've read, it seems like a Russian tortoise would be a good, low-key companion. I work from home during the day so I think it would be fun to watch the tortoise, plus I live in Berkeley so eventually we could build an outdoor enclosure for it.

I have been doing research about the care of these tortoises, but I would welcome any advice. I have searched on Craigslist off and on, but haven't found the right one yet. The rescues in California seem pretty far from where I live (SF Bay area). I am definitely looking for one that is healthy and not caught from the wild.

Let me know if you have a Russian you're looking to re-home, or if you have any recommendations for where to find one! Or, if you have any general advice about caring for Russians, that would be great.

Looking forward to exploring the site more and meeting some of you!

Stephanie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Stephanie:

There's a turtle and tortoise rescue in the Bay Area...in fact I think its right there in Berkeley.

Bay Area Turtle & Tortoise Rescue
Gary & Ginger Wilfong
510 886-2946

There's also one in Sacramento:

Sacramento Turtle & Tortoise Club
Felice Rood
916 421-1134

I believe Kevin (username-TORTOISEHOME) is in Holister
you can contact him here or his web site
http://www.tortoisehome.org/

Anyhoo...welcome to the Forum!

bradtato

Richmond, VA
Best advice I can offer: have your enclosure set up with your temperatures and humidity proper before bringing your new tortoise home. My enclosure has been a work in progress, because in all my research, I didn't realize exactly how much work it is to settle a tortoise into a new home.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Stephanie welcome to the TFO from AZ. . Sorry to here about the lost of your dog congrat . For the new baby on the way . And good luck with the RT

fabfourgirl1964

5 Year Member
California
I have a male russian tort that is about five years old, vet checked healthy. I've been taking care of him for almost three years now because my daughter moved to Washington and can not take care of him. I would like to see someone who is truely commited to lovingly adopt him! His name is Bear! I live in Oakley, only 40 minutes from you.