Looking to adopt Russian tortoise in SF Bay area

MintyTortoise

Hi, I am new to the forum but I have explored the site and it has a lot of great information. I'm looking to adopt a healthy Russian tortoise, any age. It would be ideal if someone were selling the equipment, as well, since this would be my first tortoise.

I first learned about Russian tortoises because my friend has one, and I think they are the coolest. My husband and I are looking for a pet since we recently had to put down our beloved dog of 14 years, and it is pretty lonely without him. We are also expecting our first child in a few months, so we will be too busy for a dog, I think. From what I've read, it seems like a Russian tortoise would be a good, low-key companion. I work from home during the day so I think it would be fun to watch the tortoise, plus I live in Berkeley so eventually we could build an outdoor enclosure for it.

I have been doing research about the care of these tortoises, but I would welcome any advice. I have searched on Craigslist off and on, but haven't found the right one yet. The rescues in California seem pretty far from where I live (SF Bay area). I am definitely looking for one that is healthy and not caught from the wild.

Let me know if you have a Russian you're looking to re-home, or if you have any recommendations for where to find one!

Thanks,
Stephanie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't know how I missed this thread the first time around...I apologize and hope you didn't get turned off by our lack of response.

There is a pretty nice rescue right there in the Bay area - The Bay Area Turtle and Tortoise Rescue, run by Gary and Ginger Wilfong. Their number is 510 886-2946. They're in Castro Valley.

There's another one down in the San Jose area - TortoiseHome.org . That one is run by Kevin Norrad, and he's a member here.

I hope you find a Russian in a rescue. Its a very nice little tortoise and a good one to start with.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Hi Stephanie =) Yes unfortunately most of the rescues in our area are really far but i do know a person who can help you =) She's a little far off from Sacramento and she's great! I usually help her out by pointing people to her direction if someone is looking or to put out their russian tort for adoption. Feel free to message me on my e-mail ([email protected]) and we can further talk details =) Something i would recommend though, get your set up ready =) This will make the adoption process a lot better =)

Also, if you want to consider some other type of tortoise, i do have an 2 year old Ibera and a young adult Hermann for sale =) Sorry just no set up =) Im located in Glen Park if you do decide to get either or =)

fabfourgirl1964

5 Year Member
California
MintyTortoise said:
Hi, I am new to the forum but I have explored the site and it has a lot of great information. I'm looking to adopt a healthy Russian tortoise, any age. It would be ideal if someone were selling the equipment, as well, since this would be my first tortoise.

I first learned about Russian tortoises because my friend has one, and I think they are the coolest. My husband and I are looking for a pet since we recently had to put down our beloved dog of 14 years, and it is pretty lonely without him. We are also expecting our first child in a few months, so we will be too busy for a dog, I think. From what I've read, it seems like a Russian tortoise would be a good, low-key companion. I work from home during the day so I think it would be fun to watch the tortoise, plus I live in Berkeley so eventually we could build an outdoor enclosure for it.

I have been doing research about the care of these tortoises, but I would welcome any advice. I have searched on Craigslist off and on, but haven't found the right one yet. The rescues in California seem pretty far from where I live (SF Bay area). I am definitely looking for one that is healthy and not caught from the wild.

Let me know if you have a Russian you're looking to re-home, or if you have any recommendations for where to find one!

Thanks,
Stephanie

I have a male Russian tortoise with indoor setup. Private message me if you are still interested. I live within the SF Bay Area.
Patti :)

MintyTortoise

Thanks, everyone! We just had our baby so I'm holding off on getting one for a few months, but it sounds like there are some good options. I'm hoping to be able to adopt one from a rescue. :)