New Owner very confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanndem1

5 Year Member
Hi All,

My name is Sandra I live in Chicago, IL. I bought my 8 year old son a greek tortoise for his birthday. We generally research things to death...Not this time:( I read the things not to do section and can say out of 11..we did maybe 8!

So here it is "crush" is 2 weeks at our home. He adjusted nicely ate from our hands and seemed to be happy. We have taken him in the yard 3 times recently and now all he does is pace in his cage. We finally figured out to get rid of the high evil water dish the pet store sold us...put in a pie plate that he keeps flipping over. Really pacing the back of the tank.
I feel HORRIBLE
The set up ....I have an under tank heater as well as an over tank heating bulb. We also have the uv lamp. Not sure how to up load a pic yet, 40 gallon tank bark and coconut substrate. Humidity about 50-60..sometimes 40....basking temp 90ish overnight around 70....

Should I stop taking him out? Put up a back drop? Add calcium? Are the temps/humidity nearly correct? Finding a TON of conflicting info.
I am A huge animal lover, rescure dogs...my dog has MS and a wheelchair..I bring squirrels and rabbits to animal shelters..This turtle is really making me sad and I want to make him happy! Help!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sandra, and welcome to the Forum!

In my opinion, an indoor tortoise should never be allowed to know that there is a big world outside his habitat because it just makes him want out of the habitat.

It would be a very good idea for you to build a safe and escape-proof outside pen so he can be put outside in good weather. I believe that tortoise should be outside as much as possible and use the indoor habitat only during inclement weather.

Now THAT is a VERY confusing answer to your question, huh?

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Can he see through the walls of the tank. Torts do not understand glass and will keep trying to escape through it and hurt themselves.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
How big is this tortoise? 40 gallon tanks are pretty small....maybe he needs more room. Also, does he have enough hiding spots and enough cover (fake plants, things to make him feel secure..)?

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
First of all, WELCOME!!! Woooooooo!!!!!

Lol

Alright good. Got that out of the way.

So lets begin. From what I'm reading, temperature sounds good. The 3 things to consider:
Basking spot 90+ degrees
All around 70-75
Night 70+
Reason why for the high temperature is because torts needs to digest their good at temperature 85 degrees. At night give them the chance to cool off. Sounds like you got that covered. Good job! *thumbs up*

Substrate: sounds like you also got that covered! Something i like to do for Squirtle (yearling) is have the coco colors at the bottom about 2-3 inch deep. Cover the top part with the barks. I do this because they love to dig! The top part mainly remains dry and the bottom part is nice moist for higher humidity. (Since Squirtle is a yearling, I also use moss in one corner for the much higher humidity) If you notice the humidity out of place, I have a simple and cheap solution for you! $1-2 Spray bottle! I spray the enclosure to raise humidity. BAM! Lol

Humidity: once again sounds like you got it covered. Just keep in mind, the younger the tort a higher humidity is recommended to prevent pyramiding. Hence the reason why I keep my substrate the way it's set up.

The water bowl, thank you for changing it out. Another solution you could have done for the deeper bowls, use pebbles. Just make sure they are big enough that they can't swallow it. Also it adds a nice decoration in your enclosure.

Lights: covered also. =) something I wouldn't recommend are the coiled bulbs. They tend to get to bright and can cause eye problems. But this is just my thoughts. To each its own.

Food: I like to feed mine wild weeds. I go out on a morning/afternoon walk. Pick up the weeds an feed them that. Please keep in mind, know your neighbors! Find out if they use pesticides or other chemicals on their yard to avoid complications. This way you can remain fitted, know your neighbors and get complemented for looking good from all the walkings.(^_-) I know there will be days where you'll get lazy, so I buy store vegetations. Mix greens, kale and what other things you feel comfortable feeding your torts.... Here is a website to check out plants that are edible for tortoises. Www.thetortoisetable.org.uk This website helped me a lot! Also get ideas for the enclosure. I like to use calcium supplements every other 2-3 days. Sprinkle it on their good also to prevent pyramiding.

Lastly, for hatchlings I do use a tank. But when they get older, I don't recommend it. Torts can't really tell what's real and the glass. They can eventually hurt them self. After 2-3 years of age I move them. I would use a large plastic storage bin. Crazy right! Cheap, easy to move and bring it outside to have your torrt soak up the sun! Saves you money and time in building your outdoor enclosure until your ready to build it.

So this are just basics. Hope this helps! Once again....

WELCOME! Can't wait to see his/her pictures! I'm going to attach a picture of the enclosure for example. ill look around to see if i can find an example of my the older enclosure. This is his/her new enclosure to give you ideas. ImageUploadedByTortForum1373557809.373671.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1373557832.867138.jpg

Also I just wanted to add, please don't beat yourself up. The pet store was just wasn't able to provide you with the proper information. Your already doing the right thing just by coming here. So don't worry too much. Enjoy your new friend/new family member.

Last edited by a moderator:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Excellent advice above.

Bullet points:

*outside, at least part of the year, is best. In your area, he will have to come inside over winter, and will have to adjust. The sun is the best thing there is for them, even part of the year or part of a day.
*get a bigger indoor enclosure; a used bookcase (goodwill or craigslist), entertainment center,turned on their sides and lined with a heavy duty shower curtain. Or two 50 gal rubbermaid tubs connected with a window...
*pet stores do not give accurate advice (except the rare few).
*remove the heat pad. These kind of tortoises do better with heat from above. They do need a 'cool' side of 65 to 70f during the day. They do not need night heat unless your house is freezing. An over heated tortoise is almost more miserable than a cool one.
* they do take time to adjust, and will often settle in over time (if the enclosure is a good size).

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Welcome!!! Excellent responses already. Just wanted to say that confusion time will soon be over. Read-read-read and ask away. This tortoise forum is manna from heaven for shelled cutie keepers. Best.Ever! Little Greeks rock. Congrats on your new little buddy! : )

Status
Not open for further replies.