New outdoor enclosure for my tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
So I had very little knowledge about actually owning a torn when I got one at the end of may, but still love my new pet. I am now making an outdoor space for him and thought I'd post pics along the way to get feedback as I go along. So here is pic one. Filling it with organic soil and coco coir mixed in. Have a mix of plants to put in as well... ImageUploadedByTortForum1371530053.501580.jpg. Feedback is much needed :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The staggered bricks look like an escape staircase to me.

I see a patch of lawn off to the right. Could you build his enclosure on the lawn?
And stack your bricks differently. Have each row a straight with each new row slighty over hanging in wards. This will be steps inward and a tort can't climb that ;) does that make sense??

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

jeffstort

5 Year Member
I agree with gomberg they climb those things like staircases all the time, I learned that the hard way

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Joe would have been straight out of there at an early age. Russians are even better climbers. Another vote for changing the walls so that they aren't a ladder to freedom.

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Northern California
Thanks that should be easy enough to change. I am going to put some grass in there but don't want him on my lawn as that's the dog area :)

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Northern California
Getting closer :). Have a few changes to make but he seemed to like it. So far I have planted rosemary, fruitless strawberries, gardenia, day lily, and a few types of lettuce.

He has two half logs and a pot to hide in. Feedback?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1371597514.893839.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1371597529.789677.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1371597544.337644.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Looks like it is shaping up! Daylilies are safe for tortoises. Lilies (from bulbs) are not.

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
This looks like a very nice torty home, a happy spot. Do you have a top for it?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Good!

My tips, sink the flower pot deeper. About half way. They tend to like it better that way ;)
Also, move the top row of bricks inward just enough to be a lip as insurance that you're tort can't climb out. They can scale bricks vertically. The lip will stop him.

Looks good :cool:

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Northern California
No top as I can see him while in work and he will come inside when I'm not here. If he really likes it then ill find a cover for it.

Will move the top row in and have found he already is trying to sneak out - usually he just gets stuck.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
I was also going to suggest a cover, but as long as you can keep an eye on the enclosure to keep him safe from other critters. We lost one of ours to something last year. Now I have some screen covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.