Top soil for outdoor area?

JEllis

Location (City and/or State)
CA
We are building an outdoor garden box to grow Testudo Mix seeds (Broadleaf). Ideally, I would also love for our tortoise to be able to spend outdoor time in the garden box generally walking around, enjoying the sun, and grazing (we will have a cover to avoid predators and she will be supervised at all times). Has anyone done this and what soil do I need to use to make sure the plants are healthy but so is the tortoise?

I have seen threads on soil for enclosures, but we use coco coir, so this would just be for the outdoor play area.

Any thoughts welcome!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
A lot of people argue against using top soil for enclosures because it turns to mud when wet and you can’t be 100% sure of the composition, but Scott’s organic topsoil is very frequently used as a substrate choice for most reptiles, especially in substrate mixes, and I imagine it would work well. I personally use it as part of a mix for my bearded dragon and dart frogs, where I have plants growing.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
You could use topsoil, but I typically use a soil-less mix of coir/peat and compost for most substrate/growing applications and only use topsoil for fill or bulking if needed.