Need advice for Russian Tortoise enclosure

Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, Tx
I just purchased a Testudo Tortoise for my daughter last week. I built it an outdoor enclosure near a shade trade and also get's a good amount of sunlight. I live in Texas where it's 100+. The enclosure has a soaking bowl, a saucer for water and one for food. I have a piece of plywood over one corner for hiding and shade along with a broken flower pot to hide in as well. Since we've had it I have not seen it eat or drink anything. We leave it outside during the day and bring it inside where it's 75 degrees at night. I don't have a basking light yet. I'm going to purchase one today or tomorrow. I put a calcium block along with kale and romaine lettuce and also some tortoise food from the pet store. It hasn't touched any of it. I have organic potting soil and forest mulch for bedding. I plan to plant some hibiscus, dandilions and other edible plants soon as well. Can someone please help me out here? I don't know if I should take it to the Vet for a check up or what. What could be the problem? I know that you are supposed to have an indoor enclosure with the correct humidity and heat lamp for basking. I've attached photos of the outdoor enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1311.jpg
    IMG_1311.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 17
Denver, Colorado
I just purchased a Testudo Tortoise for my daughter last week. I built it an outdoor enclosure near a shade trade and also get's a good amount of sunlight. I live in Texas where it's 100+. The enclosure has a soaking bowl, a saucer for water and one for food. I have a piece of plywood over one corner for hiding and shade along with a broken flower pot to hide in as well. Since we've had it I have not seen it eat or drink anything. We leave it outside during the day and bring it inside where it's 75 degrees at night. I don't have a basking light yet. I'm going to purchase one today or tomorrow. I put a calcium block along with kale and romaine lettuce and also some tortoise food from the pet store. It hasn't touched any of it. I have organic potting soil and forest mulch for bedding. I plan to plant some hibiscus, dandilions and other edible plants soon as well. Can someone please help me out here? I don't know if I should take it to the Vet for a check up or what. What could be the problem? I know that you are supposed to have an indoor enclosure with the correct humidity and heat lamp for basking. I've attached photos of the outdoor enclosure.
Where did you get your tortoise? If you got it from a big pet store chain like PetSmart, you need to get it checked out. They catch their torts from the wild most of the time, which means it might need some treatments if it has a parasite or an infection. It'll be expensive, but it's worth it to make your tort happy.
I also suggest you soak your tort more often, which might stimulate appetite. There's plenty of resources online that can help you :)

I hope you're well,
- Gracey and Noodles

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Please read this. It will explain what you need to do: