new mother to a Russian boy

Wolfhengesh

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I don’t think Greg has pooped yet and I’m a little worried about it. Will I definitely see the poop? Or could he have pooped and I didn’t know ?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Food can be digested for several days. It can be less or more, depending on fiber/water content and so. Proper hydration, exercise, temperatures and appropriate amount of fibrous foods will make things move.

They often poop it while you soak them. 30 minutes bath usually makes it.

Sometimes they poop in a "secret place" - in the hide, burrow, plant pot. Sometimes they eat it again (kinda disgusting, but that's nature..). And sometimes you can see The Poop (and you'll never think that a little tortoise did it).

Wolfhengesh

Pennsylvania
Food can be digested for several days. It can be less or more, depending on fiber/water content and so. Proper hydration, exercise, temperatures and appropriate amount of fibrous foods will make things move.

They often poop it while you soak them. 30 minutes bath usually makes it.

Sometimes they poop in a "secret place" - in the hide, burrow, plant pot. Sometimes they eat it again (kinda disgusting, but that's nature..). And sometimes you can see The Poop (and you'll never think that a little tortoise did it).
I soaked him for 30 mins last night and nothing. And 20 ish mins the night before.
I don’t think he is eating his Mazuri pellets but he did eat the supplemental fiber flower topper and eats his greens everyday.
He also is drinking water, annd trudging thorough the bowl. humidity is high.

I’m hoping he’s just secretly pooping.
I did see urates twice.

Here I am googling “tortoise poop” lol

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I soaked him for 30 mins last night and nothing. And 20 ish mins the night before.
I don’t think he is eating his Mazuri pellets but he did eat the supplemental fiber flower topper and eats his greens everyday.
He also is drinking water, annd trudging thorough the bowl. humidity is high.

I’m hoping he’s just secretly pooping.
I did see urates twice.

Here I am googling “tortoise poop” lol
Hm, I think in a couple of days he should "surprise" you :)

Googling is not necessary, just remember that sulcata guys need a shovel :))

Anyway, please keep us updated. And don't stop soakings.

Wolfhengesh

Pennsylvania
Update! Greg has been poooping like a champ. You all were right.
After our nightly soaks I dry him off and put him back- he immediately starts getting as dirty as possible. He nearly burrows himself completely.

I have commissioned a new enclosure for him that should be built and ready to get set up within 2 weeks. It will be 60inchesx30 inches with 16 inch walls.
I’m so excited for him to have more space and freedom.
I found a seed mixture of Russian tortoise greens and I am excited to get them growing. This guy eats way better than me!

Thank you all for all the help!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5299.jpeg
    IMG_5299.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5186.jpeg
    IMG_5186.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5221.jpeg
    IMG_5221.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
Hi! I am a proud mother of a *they think* 3 or 4 year old Russian tort boy. He was abandoned on the porch of a rescue a couple weeks ago and I was fortunate enough to be selected to adopt the cutie boy. The rescue is operated by an exotic vet and he made sure he was healthy before I took him home. We are located in eastern Pennsylvania.

His name is Greg and he is beautiful.
I am very very inspired to give Greg the best life I can.

Currently he is in a temporary enclosure (40x24 inches) while I build out a book case enclosure for him this weekend. I spent weeks reading this forum and I’m trying my best.

He has 3-5 inches of cococoir all over with 1/2 of the enclosure covered with orchid bark- I want to see what he likes more and adjust. He has 2 terracotta bowls pressed into the orchid bark side one with water one with fresh broadleaf greens( collard and dandelion) and a small amount of moistened Mazuri tortoise food. I have had him 48 hours and have seen him drink water while sitting in the dish. He has a hide in a corner but hasn’t used it yet. I plan to grab a slate tile today for a basking spot.
He has a t8 20 inch uv light about 14 inches from shell height and a 100w heat light on the coco coir only side.

Am I missing anything? I have read myself mad and any advice would be appreciated. He is my first reptile I will solo care for.

my first full day with him he woke with the lights around 7:30 and started moving about around 9 am. He was digging and eating from 9-1:30 and then napped the rest of the day. Is this normal behavior?

I love him so much I can’t believe I have such an incredible creature in my home.

So happy to be here!
Welcome to the forum! He's adorable, I mean handsome :) I'm so glad someone left him at the rescue instead of just ignoring him in a tank to let him suffer. He looks like he will be in good hands with you as his caregiver.

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
He's so full of dirt! hahhaha I love it! They are like toddlers playing outside 🤣
🥰

Wolfhengesh

Pennsylvania
Welcome to the forum! He's adorable, I mean handsome :) I'm so glad someone left him at the rescue instead of just ignoring him in a tank to let him suffer. He looks like he will be in good hands with you as his caregiver.
I will do my best!! Thank you!