new Russian owner in Texas

HelenR72

Hello and welcome. I got my Russian, Franklin, from petco a little over 2 years ago, so I can offer insight on adjusting and stuff, since for the sake of assumption he is wild caught, and for a while he will be afraid of you since you're a big giant when he's never been around giants before. When you keep bringing food, and pick him up and "handle" him every so often for the next few months he'll get to know you and that you bring food and he'll decide you're ok.

One thing I've learned and Franklin still does it... franklin eats when franklin wants to eat, not when I do, I can put in food, plop him right in front and he'll low it over thencome back 10 minutes later to gobble it all up.

They like digging and like corners, this is a pretty normal thing. And the first few weeks will be him adjusting to his new home as well.

Best of luck! :tort:
Yes he was digging a lot, I was worried about his little feet. I changed his substrate to potting soil with coconut coir and he loves it! He doesn't dig like he did before. He used to go inside the end of his table and he would stay in there, since I changed his substrate he sleeps in the corner where his light is. When I turn his lights on in the morning he comes out of his hole and waits for his salad. I read somewhere that yellow squash is safe and he loves it, but now I can't find where I read it. Do you know if that is something best in moderation?

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Yes he was digging a lot, I was worried about his little feet. I changed his substrate to potting soil with coconut coir and he loves it! He doesn't dig like he did before. He used to go inside the end of his table and he would stay in there, since I changed his substrate he sleeps in the corner where his light is. When I turn his lights on in the morning he comes out of his hole and waits for his salad. I read somewhere that yellow squash is safe and he loves it, but now I can't find where I read it. Do you know if that is something best in moderation?
I read in a care book I have that squash is safe... but I never have fed squash. I feel like its much like pumpkin and stuff that people post here and is better a sometimes treat than something fed more often, I'm pretty sure that's for high sugar content which isn't good or necessary, (I know that's how it is for carrots at least). I wouldn't feed squash often, but i'm sure there are people with even more knowledge than me that can chime in better. I know squash leaves (like if you grow your own in a garden) are good in a varied diet too.
Franklin loves tomato, but that's also something that's not good all the time, he gets maybe 3-4 little cherry tomatoes a year, so seldom to me means seldom.
Hope my explanation made some sense! :)

HelenR72

I read in a care book I have that squash is safe... but I never have fed squash. I feel like its much like pumpkin and stuff that people post here and is better a sometimes treat than something fed more often, I'm pretty sure that's for high sugar content which isn't good or necessary, (I know that's how it is for carrots at least). I wouldn't feed squash often, but i'm sure there are people with even more knowledge than me that can chime in better. I know squash leaves (like if you grow your own in a garden) are good in a varied diet too.
Franklin loves tomato, but that's also something that's not good all the time, he gets maybe 3-4 little cherry tomatoes a year, so seldom to me means seldom.
Hope my explanation made some sense! :)
Thank you! I am finding out about a lot of things I thought were safe. I didn't know Dandelions were a diuretic, and that was one of the first things he was eating when I got him, because I just read how they loved them so much. I am sure he was dehydrated when I first got him. When he tinkles now it is clear, when I first got him his pee was white.

HelenR72

Welcome from Wisconsin! I also have a Russian. :)
Thank You! I have only had mine a few weeks. I did my research before I got him, but I am finding there is still so much to learn. I am so happy there are places like this!

FeebeeDeebee

Location (City and/or State)
Haworth, West Yorkshire
Hi I live in the Uk and have a Horsfield named Elvis, he also is just settling in and likes corners...but is starting to 'come out of his shell' a little :tort: