new Russian owner in Texas

HelenR72

Hi! I am Helen and I just got my first Russian Tortoise a few days ago. I got him from Petsmart he was in a tiny glass aquarium with another Russian. I have soaked him twice a day to make sure he is well hydrated i know he didn't get a soak from them and they fed him dry pellets. I got him to eat some mixed greens and some red lettuce. He ate real good yesterday but today he doesn't seem too interested. He constantly claws at the corners of his enclosure which worries me I don't want him to hurt his little feet. His table is 5ft by 8ft so he has plenty of roon to roam. Please help!!!!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
He is just adjusting to his new home . Being he is from petsmart I would take him to a vet to check for parasites. Most to all there animals are wild caught. Check the temperature in the enclosure with a good meter not them round disk types . Get yourself a temperature gun . Home Depot has them in the electrical section for 30 $ . Look up a care sheet in the Russian section of this forum and you will be on the right track . Welcome to TFO.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This is a normal thing. I have no idea what goes through their little pea brains, but we hear the same story over and again - I brought the tortoise home and he ate a lot, then the next day all he does is hide - or scratch at the corners - or try to escape.

The only thing I can figure is the tortoise is happy to have some fresh food and eats like a pig, but when he wakes up the following day, realizes he's not in his usual spot so he gets nervous about it and either tries to escape back to his usual spot, or hides because he doesn't feel safe.

All you can do is give him time. Treat him the way he's supposed to be treated. Feed him every day, placing him in front of the food and stepping quickly out of sight. Soak him occasionally if an adult and daily if a baby. And give him about two weeks to settle in.

You might try adding a few plants, either real or fake, to give him a more closed in/safe feel.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Helen welcome to the TFO from AZ. Do we get Picts of your tort and the enclosure ? Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

HelenR72

Here he is! I have just been calling him Baby, lol I think he likes it.

Attachments

• IMG_20140719_171057421.jpg
    IMG_20140719_171057421.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 28

HelenR72

This is part of his house. I am going to get some top soil to put in there so he has more to dig in. He was used to the Reptile Bark so I put that with the Coconut Coir until he gets used to it.

Attachments

• IMG_20140713_221822925.jpg
    IMG_20140713_221822925.jpg
    845.8 KB · Views: 34

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
This is part of his house. I am going to get some top soil to put in there so he has more to dig in. He was used to the Reptile Bark so I put that with the Coconut Coir until he gets used to it.
It looks good, just remember bigger is a lot better when you can :D

Kaitlynn

Minnesota, USA
You have such a cute tortoise! It is good that someone bought the poor thing so that he didn't have to stay in that pet store anymore. I have heard nothing but bad things about them. Glad to see he has a good caring home! :)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Hello and welcome. I got my Russian, Franklin, from petco a little over 2 years ago, so I can offer insight on adjusting and stuff, since for the sake of assumption he is wild caught, and for a while he will be afraid of you since you're a big giant when he's never been around giants before. When you keep bringing food, and pick him up and "handle" him every so often for the next few months he'll get to know you and that you bring food and he'll decide you're ok.

One thing I've learned and Franklin still does it... franklin eats when franklin wants to eat, not when I do, I can put in food, plop him right in front and he'll low it over thencome back 10 minutes later to gobble it all up.

They like digging and like corners, this is a pretty normal thing. And the first few weeks will be him adjusting to his new home as well.

Best of luck! :tort: