New Leopard Turtoise owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad

5 Year Member
Hi, I am from California(Los Gatos) new to this forum. I recently got a Leopard turtoise. He is 1 year old and I weigheted him today, he is 202 grams. How much must a Leopard turtoise weigh? How fast should he gain weight? I use a Solar Glo 125 watt lamp and it stays on top of the terrarium the hight of terrarium is 12 inches, and in the instructions to the lamp it says that the lamp must be not lower then 30 inches. DO you think I need to hang it higher? This lamp also heats the terrarium so if it will be higher the temperature will drop. Now it is about 100f. right under the buld and 78-80f at another side of the trrarium in the hiding space. Also for how long do I need to keep the lamp switched on? Another question is how must a normal poop look like? I thought it must be hard but it is quite loose do not no if it is normal. Can I overfeed the turtoise, because it is eating as much as I am giving him. Sorry for so many questions, hope i could get any answers. Thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Vlad:

(Is that your real name, or your username?)

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Your tortoise's poop should be fairly firm and dark brown almost black.

When its a baby, its ok to feed it as much as it will eat.

The temperature under your light sounds good, that tells me that the height of the light is ok. Your light should mimic the summer time sun, so 14 hours during the day is fine.

Tortoises grow at different rates, so I don't know how much he should weigh at this age.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum :) can you post some pic's so we can see your
little guy/girl

Vlad

5 Year Member
Thank you for the unswer. Vlad is a short name for Vladimir, which is my real name. My turtoises poop is very dark dark green but not brown.

emysemys said:
Hi Vlad:

(Is that your real name, or your username?)

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Your tortoise's poop should be fairly firm and dark brown almost black.

When its a baby, its ok to feed it as much as it will eat.

The temperature under your light sounds good, that tells me that the height of the light is ok. Your light should mimic the summer time sun, so 14 hours during the day is fine.

Tortoises grow at different rates, so I don't know how much he should weigh at this age.

Vlad

5 Year Member
Here is a pic. of my Turtoise.

coreyc said:
Welcome to the forum :) can you post some pic's so we can see your
little guy/girl

Attachments

• DSCF4878.JPG
    DSCF4878.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 46

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
Oh I LOVE the "What you lookin at me for" face on your tort!!!

Welcome to TFO!!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum Vlad!

I was going to asked if your the same Vlad I know from Pennsic but there is only 1 Vlad I know that goes to Pennsic and I think he's from PA....

Anyhow, Welcome again

Vlad

5 Year Member
Thanks to everybody, nice to meet you all!

dds7155

5 Year Member
Emy are you sure about the poop , i have a Leopard too and his poop his green , i feed baby spring mix and mazuri, he loves the mazuri and would eat it alone, he about the same size as Vlad, are you sure leopards poop that age is black?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi Vlad (German/Austrian?). Welcome to the forum. Your tortoise's weight sounds good to me. My leopard is almost 9 months and he weighs in at about 125 grams right now, for comparison. His poop is softish but shaped, and very dark green/brown. The poop will be determined by the diet. I feed mostly dandelion greens, prickly pear cactus, rubellia leaves and supplement with store bought spring mix right now. In the summer I will be able to feed grape leaves and hibiscus leaves and flowers too. A lot of people on the forum also feed Mazuri tortoise chow as a supplement.

Status
Not open for further replies.