I think my turtoise is dying

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
It looks like you have some kind of greek or hermann's tortoise. Here is a care sheet for them: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

If you have difficulty reading through that or understanding some of it, here's a shorter guide with more broken up formatting that I wrote a 5-6 years ago for a species with roughly the same care. You might find easier to follow, though I do highly recommend reading through the first one, because this one is pretty rudimentary: https://aminoapps.com/c/reptiles/pa...are-sheet/Yjo3_ornsXI17xbJ5Vq584XYlvl8VDjwQ1q

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yeah, you need to do much better for him if he survives. That is not at all a proper way to care for a tortoise. Where is his basking light? Uvb light? Proper substrate? None of that can be given living on a floor.
Good luck at the vet and do much better!

Zouzou

Algeria
It looks like you have some kind of greek or hermann's tortoise. Here is a care sheet for them: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

If you have difficulty reading through that or understanding some of it, here's a shorter guide with more broken up formatting that I wrote a 5-6 years ago for a species with roughly the same care. You might find easier to follow, though I do highly recommend reading through the first one, because this one is pretty rudimentary: https://aminoapps.com/c/reptiles/pa...are-sheet/Yjo3_ornsXI17xbJ5Vq584XYlvl8VDjwQ1q
Thank you so much i’ll start reading right now.. i hope he will survive and I’ll do my best to give him the best environment!
Thank you so much
Btw just to let you know i have neighbors who had a tortoise since i was a kid till now and it was already so big that time!!
They got him since he was a little, he usually hangs out on the balcony orb sometimes at the house and he literally eats everything, even bread !

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Poor little thing - I'm so sorry. Please let us know what the vet says. I'm sure everyone is wishing him
well and tortoises are very tough, so there is hope.
I will be thinking of you and of him - best wishes from Angie.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thank you so much i’ll start reading right now.. i hope he will survive and I’ll do my best to give him the best environment!
Thank you so much
Btw just to let you know i have neighbors who had a tortoise since i was a kid till now and it was already so big that time!!
They got him since he was a little, he usually hangs out on the balcony orb sometimes at the house and he literally eats everything, even bread !
That's nice, just know that it is likely that your neighbor's tortoise may not be receiving the best care, so make sure you don't try to use them as a standard to go by. And definitely don't feed your tortoise bread :p

Zouzou

Algeria
Poor little thing - I'm so sorry. Please let us know what the vet says. I'm sure everyone is wishing him
well and tortoises are very tough, so there is hope.
I will be thinking of you and of him - best wishes from Angie.

Thank you so much.. you don’t how much this means to me

Zouzou

Algeria
That's nice, just know that it is likely that your neighbor's tortoise may not be receiving the best care, so make sure you don't try to use them as a standard to go by. And definitely don't feed your tortoise bread :p
I only feed him lettuce, he only likes to eat that, no other thing

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I only feed him lettuce, he only likes to eat that, no other thing
That's something else you'll have to work on. Lettuce has very little nutritional value, and these guys need a varied diet. It may take some work to get him eating the right foods if he'll only eat lettuce, but it's very much doable

Zouzou

Algeria
That's something else you'll have to work on. Lettuce has very little nutritional value, and these guys need a varied diet. It may take some work to get him eating the right foods if he'll only eat lettuce, but it's very much doable
What other foods please?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
What other foods please?
It's best to lean on local edible weeds. Unfortunately I am not familiar with what grows in algeria so I can't help you much with specifics, but things like dandelions, grape leaves, mulberry leaves, plantain, clover, chickweed, and optuna (prickly pear) cactus pads are great. Check thetortoisetable.org.uk to see if a weed is edible. Endive, escarole, and arugula may be found at your grocery store, and are also a great food.
If you must use grocery store foods, like mustard greens, bok choi, turnip greens, watercress, collared greens, etc, try to supplement with a pellet diet like zoo med's grassland tortoise food or mazuri tortoise chow. You can also sprinkle dried "good" greens onto the grocery store veggies. Kapidolofarms.com sells great mixes of food to sprinkly onto pellets and greens, and tortoisesupply.com sells a great herbal mix, but I'm not sure if either of these ship internationally.

Zouzou

Algeria
I’m sorry to announce that he didn’t survive.. i kept checking him the whole night, but there is no movement now and he is very swollen .. I actually feel horrible it was a rough death..

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Sorry for your loss

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So very sorry.
If you ever decide to get another, please do your research on here first and provide the proper environment so this can't happen again.