I think my turtoise is dying

Zouzou

Location (City and/or State)
Algeria
Hello guys, please my turtoise got injured .. hes so small and his mouth broke i guess
once i heard the thing fall on him i went to him picked him up saw him bleeding, i washed him, he hid his face and was protecting it .. then we put him on a soaked towel but nothing.. now he’s barely moving.. bleed a little .. and he feels so weak so tender..
can someone please tell me if he’s dying?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hello, we're going to need more information. Please include pictures of the tortoise, what species it is, and how old. What fell on him?

Zouzou

Algeria
411EA127-4B46-4D2A-98E2-0939A554A690.jpegthis is him just right after the front of a plastic drawer ? I think hes no older than one year ..

Zouzou

Algeria
image.jpgthis is him right now.. im really worried he keeps moving a little when i touch his arms

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Was he in his enclosure or walking around on the floor of your house?
For now keep him warm, no temps lower than 85 but be sure he is not placed right under a heat lamp.
Leave him be and give him time to recover from the trauma.
Fix whatever happened that something could fall on him. If he was walking the floors of your house, do not ever do that again, it's a big no no!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Try to find an exotic veterinarian to bring him to, if there is one accessible to you. This kind of trauma probably is not treatable at home if it is as serious as it sounds. Does it appear that his jaw is physically broken or dislocated?

Zouzou

Algeria
Was he in his enclosure or walking around on the floor of your house?
For now keep him warm, no temps lower than 85 but be sure he is not placed right under a heat lamp.
Leave him be and give him time to recover from the trauma.
Fix whatever happened that something could fall on him. If he was walking the floors of your house, do not ever do that again, it's a big no no!
I live in an apparament and he was actually sleeping… his mouth is actually broken.. should i take him to the vet first thing in the morning?

Zouzou

Algeria
Try to find an exotic veterinarian to bring him to, if there is one accessible to you. This kind of trauma probably is not treatable at home if it is as serious as it sounds. Does it appear that his jaw is physically broken or dislocated?
Yes

Zouzou

Algeria
What about his very cold weak and tender arms and legs, I hope hes not slowly dying?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
What about his very cold weak and tender arms and legs, I hope hes not slowly dying?
Do you have a proper enclosure with heating and lighting to keep this tortoise in until it can see a vet? There's nothing you can really do for it but keep it warm and comfortable until it can see a vet, and it really does need to see a vet soon. If the object fell onto its arms, its possible that they are bruised or broken. Don't handle it or hold it until you have to, just leave it in a warm spot in the enclosure (but NOT directly under a heat lamp) until the vet clinic is open or you're able to find an emergency vet that is open now.

Zouzou

Algeria
Do you have a proper enclosure with heating and lighting to keep this tortoise in until it can see a vet? There's nothing you can really do for it but keep it warm and comfortable until it can see a vet, and it really does need to see a vet soon. If the object fell onto its arms, its possible that they are bruised or broken. Don't handle it or hold it until you have to, just leave it in a warm spot in the enclosure (but NOT directly under a heat lamp) until the vet clinic is open or you're able to find an emergency vet that is open now.
It’s 11pm here I’ll take him once it’s morning.. i dont think his arms are broken because he was moving alot and hiding himself with his arms at first..
Please pray for him to survive, I’m not well cultured about tortoises and here we just have them and put the at home and they adapt .. please pray for him to survive it will mean so much to me.. and thank you for your reply..

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
It’s 11pm here I’ll take him once it’s morning.. i dont think his arms are broken because he was moving alot and hiding himself with his arms at first..
Please pray for him to survive, I’m not well cultured about tortoises and here we just have them and put the at home and they adapt .. please pray for him to survive it will mean so much to me.. and thank you for your reply..
Will do. Does this tortoise have an enclosure at all, or does it just walk around on your floor? Did you purchase this tortoise, or is it a wild tortoise that you found outside? Where are you keeping this tortoise right now?

Zouzou

Algeria
Will do. Does this tortoise have an enclosure at all, or does it just walk around on your floor? Did you purchase this tortoise, or is it a wild tortoise that you found outside? Where are you keeping this tortoise right now?
No
Will do. Does this tortoise have an enclosure at all, or does it just walk around on your floor? Did you purchase this tortoise, or is it a wild tortoise that you found outside? Where are you keeping this tortoise right now

Zouzou

Algeria
Sorry* he usually just walk around the house, sits in a sunny warm place eat or walk in a special path?? My dad bought him for me ..
now im keeping him in a warm place like a warm cover

Zouzou

Algeria
Sorry* he usually just walk around the house, sits in a sunny warm place eat or walk in a special path?? My dad bought him for me ..
I usually take him outside for walks where he sees green and play alot on the soil

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
If he survives, you're going to have to set up an enclosure for him asap. He cannot keep living on your floor, and he should not be taken outside for walks without a proper outdoor enclosure to keep him safe. Right now, be sure that he is kept in some kind of container, like a plastic tub, and put paper towels on the bottom. the floor is much too cold for him.
Do you have any kind of heater, heated blanket, heat pad, or anything similar that gives off heat? Don't put the tortoise directly on any of those because it might burn him, but place the container with the paper towels and tortoise near or on it so that it is warm, but not hot. You're shooting for 85 degrees f, or 29-30 c.