New keeper of two Horsfield tortoises Pippa & Marli

Samantha Graham

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool, U.K
After much research and excitement, I finally brought my 1 year old tortoises home on Saturday. They already have little characters of their own, with Pippa being more confident and outgoing than Marli from the off.
Pippa seemed to take to her new home really well and has been eating well. Marli seemed to come out to eat when we weren't watching their every move. She (I know they may be males!) has been better these last few days and really comes out of her shell(!!) when she's had a good soak.
Pippa has a favourite sleeping spot under the safety of the foliage in the tortoise table whilst Marli has alternated between the Habba hut and spagnum moss and the soil/sand substrate under the "fiddle-sticks" arch. She completely buries herself into the substrate.
Both are now quite happy to have their heads petted/stroked. I'm really pleased with how they've settled in.

Long may this continue.

Last edited:

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Watch them closely if you plan to keep them in the same enclosure. One will most likely always bully the other. If you notice one always hiding or one growing & the other not, these are signs. I would consider not taking the risk & separate them. These little guys are known to be a pretty aggressive type of tort & do not like company. I would love to get another one, but I know my Martha would eat it :)

Samantha Graham

5 Year Member
Liverpool, U.K
Thanks so much for your advice. I will keep a close eye on them and I have two enclosures so it won't be a problem to separate them if they start displaying any aggression. I have taken some measurements of them already so I hope I would know if Marli isn't eating enough. My main worry is about their shells. I want to do all I can to ensure steady smooth growth but it's early days and stressing about it won't help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Samantha, and welcome to the forum!

To help them grow smoothly, you need to give them some humidity in the habitat. Moisten the substrate, or provide moist sphagnum moss in the hiding place.

Samantha Graham

5 Year Member
Liverpool, U.K

To help them grow smoothly, you need to give them some humidity in the habitat. Moisten the substrate, or provide moist sphagnum moss in the hiding place.

Thank you, I have moist substrate and sphagnum moss in the Habba hut so I think I should stop worrying and enjoy them, they are great little characters!

Samantha Graham

5 Year Member
Liverpool, U.K

Hi Yvonne,

I gave my substrate a good old soaking yesterday and really mixed it up.

The difference in Marli today is unbelievable (although it may be a coincidence!!).

I took them outside for a good old bask yesterday and plenty of exercise.

Both are eating well.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Salutations.
Wow little russians a rare sight indeed. not to beat a dead horse, but watch for aggression, younger ones should not be a problem. They look good.

Samantha Graham

5 Year Member
Liverpool, U.K
They hardly move at the moment without hawk eyes on them, I'm just so fascinated with them! I will separate them if need be though.

Marli has been so adventurous today, lovely to watch.

Unfortunately, we had some pretty heavy downpours of rain, so they didn't go outside today. (The good old English weather!!).

I did soak them and give them a bit of a run around inside though so all good.

Thank you everyone for making me feel so welcome on here.