New here, need Sulcata Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss_Kat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
LA
oh yeah, it gets SUPER hot here. Summer days can be in the 100's. I often don't sue AC in the house till it gets to above 85/90 degrees inside, then I put the AC on to 79. I think I will start to set up teh kennel outside for him for morning and evening outside times. I will make a shade area in it as well as water area. I am pretty sure the grass is fine, the fertilizer I used last season was not a large amount, and it has since flooded here due to extreme rains this winter. (flooded more that once lol - that was "fun"). I did measure it strait too, not curved... well, that is the second time I measured it strait. :D Thanks for helping me learn. I don't think I will do anything too different from the norm till I talk to the vet and see what Morla can handle.

How much should they sleep and be awake?

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Mine are very active in the morning, then they eat and take a nap. In the hot part of the day they hide a lot, not sure if they are sleeping.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I use cuttlebone for calcium, the same one's that pet birds get and I just scrap some on there food or I just place the whole thing in there and they eat on it when they want. Cactus pads are also a good source of calcium.

Miss_Kat

5 Year Member
LA
oh, and in case it got missed, yeah, my name is Kat, I live in LA county, Pasadena area. I have 4 chihuahuas, 1 tortoise, and 2 kids.

Miss_Kat

5 Year Member
LA
***UPDATE***

I am SUPER sad. I brought him to the vet this morning and she informed me that he was (as expected) VERY ill. He is super weak and not moving much due to being so sick. He is WAY under weight. They are keeping him for 3 days or so to watch him. They are giving him injections of vitamins as well as a feeding tube and soaking him in what she described to me as pedialite. I described to her his living arrangements, heat, lights, food etc. and I feel horrible b/c there was a lot I was doing wrong. :( I really thought I was doing it the way I was supposed to, and until I found this forum, I was following a lot of what I was reading online... a lot of which was wrong.

I feel so horrible right now I cannot stand it. I just keep crying. :,( He is such a great little tort, and I really really hope he pulls through. My 2 year old keeps asking "where's my tortoise" and I keep telling her he is at the doctors getting better. I am scared b/c they are not sure yet if they can turn this all around, and its a firicken arm and leg to afford to do this. But there is no way I can just leave him. He has been so great and I love him... I just feel so bad that I did what I thought was right for so long, and it turns out it was not only wrong, but hurting him in the long run. Thank you all for helping me figure this out, I am hoping so SO SO SO much that he pulls through this and I can give him the amazing life he deserves. I just keep telling myself that after this his life is about to get SO much better! Please keep him in your thoughts. I will keep the board updated as I know more how he is doing. They told me to call about 5:30pm tonight to check on him.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Welcome to the forum
I hope your tortoise improves very soon
I will keep you in my thoughts.

This forum is a great place to share concerns, I'm pleased you found it even though - sad circumstances

Best of Luck

Louise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw, darn it, Kat...I'm so sorry. But, it sounds like you have a vet who knows what he's doing, so let's keep our fingers crossed that the tortoise will get better.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hope everything will turn out good for you and your tort. So sorry you are going through this.

Miss_Kat

5 Year Member
LA
The vet said to call at 5:30pm, but I couldnt wait... so I just called (3:45pm) She said to me that it seems like he is doing a little bit better. (it's a small improvement but hay, I will take it!)
The vet said that she has gotten him out in the sun a few times today, that he has been soaking up in the pedialite stuff and that he has started to close his mouth again and make eating-like motions with his mouth, so she tube fed him since it looked like he wanted to eat. She said it looks like he is a fighter and she sees a little sprakle in his eye <3 Please keep sending good vibes!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have my fingers crossed for you and your little guy, they are tough and have a strong will to survive. I do hope everything they are doing will work...

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hi Kat! Glad you found this forum. So much good information here. Hoping the best for Morla.

Miss_Kat

5 Year Member
LA
I am supposed to wait till 10am to call, and I will, but MAN I am counting down the seconds!! I really hope he did well last night. Thanks again for all of your support. Some people dont understand how much you can love a little tort, and I am glad to be around ppl who do. <3

ADVANceNA

5 Year Member
Miss_Kat, he will totally totally pull through ! just keep the positive thoughts up, i am definitely sending you mine ! they're a tough species and he'll pull through :) many blessing nd prayers coming from einstein and i !

Miss_Kat

5 Year Member
LA
/ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sigh...

so, he seems to be doing a little better again :D They said his eyes are looking even better than yesterday and that he has now had 3 tube feedings. He got an hour of sunshine yesterday and they plan on doing the same today. He also is getting soaked a bunch. They said that he is obviously not ready to come home yet, but making improvement. I really wish I could go visit him but my hubby has the car today. My daughter keeps asking where he is, and I keep getting freaked out cause the enclosure is next to my computer, and the lights are off... then I remember that he isn't here... its just so weird.

They are hoping that he poops today now that he has had a lot of fluid and feedings. Poop will be a great sign that things are working. I never thought I would want a little guy to poop so much! haha. I really hope he does! I get to call back at 5:30/6 tonight to hear how his day went.

cknfrmr

5 Year Member
Kernersville, NC
Glad things are turning around for you and your tortoise. Everything happens for a reason, you were meant to find this fourm and get the help your tortoise needed. All the info you will ever need is on TF.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Kat, please don't beat yourself up you was doing what you thought was right. I made a lot of mistakes with Tank until I found TFO.

Miss_Kat

5 Year Member
LA
OG GUYS I AM SO HAPPY I COULD CRY!!! I talked to the vet this morning and she said that if I was willing to learn how to tube feed Morla, I could take him home today!! I think it will be pretty intense to figure out tube feeding, but I am MORE than willing to learn!! I GET MY TORT BACK!!! YAY! My daughter is SO excited as well. I pick him up at 3pm today. Oh I cannot wait to see him. Now the hubby and I are going in the back yard to make a safe area for the little guy. I have been reading on here a bunch about how to make a good area for them. Since he will need a lot of special attention and is pretty weak, I think the first enclosure I make outside will be using our super big dog kennel.... that way I wont have to worry about any predators (kids, dogs, coyotes, birds). I will post a pic so you guys can give me insight on what to do better. At first I think he will only be spending an hour or so outside at a time till he builds up his strength. I will learn more when I go to the vet and she tells me what to do. I AM JUST SO EXCITED HE IS STRONG ENOUGH TO COME HOME!! I know we are not out of the woods yet, but we are at least starting to see a clearing! :D

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us here, and so glad you get your Morla back.

teri

Status
Not open for further replies.