New here, need Sulcata Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss_Kat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
LA
Hello! I just joined this site and am super stoked to have found it! I am writing because I have a 7 y/o Sulcata who is only a few lbs. He is really small, I got him when he was maybe 2 inches big so he has grown a LOT in the last 7 years, but after reading things on this site, I am realizing that he is SUPER small. Up until recently he was really active. I have him inside in a 3' deep, 6' long case. I have two heat coils, one infared light and a UV light. Though, the UV light had burnt out so I am replacing it now. He usually would run back and forth through the enclosure, dig and climb, but for the last month or more he has been really still. I thought he was just hibernating, but now its summer, its 80+ degrees daily (w/o the heat lamps - we are in Los Angeles area) and he still isn't moving around. I re-arranged his enclosure, moved the UV light closer, put new water in and have given him some grape leaves from the back yard to snack on. I usually feed him bell peppers and romaine or green lettuce. I also give him cantaloupe rines (sp?) on occasion. Recently he isnt really eating much either. :( I am SO worried about him and not sure what to do. When I picked him up he felt SO light and soft. :( Do I need more calcium? Should I take him to a vet? What would a vet do?? I know I am a bit all over the place here, but I really am worried and want to do what is best for this little guy! Please, and advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Hi! Welcome to TFO!

I would first definitely take him to the Vet. There are already some things that I see wrong as far as diet (we have great threads on general diet tips here on TFO). Also a 7 year old sulcata is way to big to be indoors. I live in LA too, and right now is just perfect for them to be outside. He needs natural sun right now. ASAP. The reason why he is so soft is because he is calcium deficient. He needs that natural sun, exercise, and a good diet...but first a good reptile vet. We also have a section on that too here.

Miss_Kat

5 Year Member
LA
okay thanks!! There is no way at this point he is even BIG enough to go outside on his own, I would be afraid he would get taken away by a large bird. his shell is only about 8 inches long. I had NO idea this was too small, I just figured he was a slow grower. But now that I read on here all the different kinds of food I SHOULD be feeding him I feel horrible. I was so scared to feed him things that would make him sick, that I overcompensated and now feel like poo!! What will a vet be able to do? Should I double up on the calcium powder stuff?? I am sorry I am such a n00b!

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
No you don't have to double up on calcium. The calcium that you are giving him, does it have Vitamin D3? What about the UV bulb, what type is it? Can you find a picture online?

He does seem small for 8 years but being outside is okay. I have an 8 month old sulcata outside right now as we speak while I'm here at work. I live in Whittier.

Sorry as far as a vet, they'd be the best to make those decisions. I doubt its going to require surgery or anything. But if it's lacking vitamins they'd probably give it some kind of injections. Try to see spend some time outside with him today at least an hour +. You can also build an enclosure outside really easily for him to leave him out there while you are gone. They are grazing tortoises so they need space and sun.

Miss_Kat

5 Year Member
LA
okay, here are some pics of the enclosure. Any tips to make it better is great.

5860879706_d823522d1e.jpg

This is the kind of light we have: "zilla"
5860878816_9e61ff8122.jpg

These are the heat coils and red-light
5860878182_6370852d51.jpg

here is his size in comparison to 1/2 his cage
5860323455_5d029260ba.jpg

So, how should I put him outside? I have a dog crate that I could keep him in (the kind that is a metal grid). I put fertilizer on my grass last year, but not this year, should I put him directly on the grass or put something there to protect him??

Also, I have run out of calcium powder, and I had a spray I used to use too, but am going to get new stuff tomorrow, what would you recommend I get? I also have a call into the vet and will most likely bring him in tomorrow.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I agree that he is way to small. Can you post a pic? Does he have pyramiding? For a quick outside enclosure get a kiddie pool and put either plain cheap dirt or cyrpress mulch. Cover part of it with a board for shade and a bird net over the whole thing. The net is made for fruit trees to keep the birds from eating the fruit, you can get it at most hardware stores. Make sure he has a water dish that he can get in and soak but it needs to be shallow. Clay plant bottoms work well. I would get some cactus and mazuri and lots of dark greens like mustard. The soft shell really has me worried and I agree that he needs a vet ASAP. Right now I would only take him out for an hour or so and add more and more time so he can adjust. Good luck and we are always happy to help.

What kind of fertilizer did you use? The granular kind can take a long time for it to be ok.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Sulcata's do not hibernate so if he is not moving then something might be wrong. I think a better diet will do him very good, cut back on the bell peppers and give him more dark leafy greens.

What are you using for substrate?

If it's sand, then you may have impaction problems and that may be why he is not moving around.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Marcus, glad you mentioned the hibernation and sand, I forgot to say that. Good catch. Mis_Kat how long has it been since he pooped? Should be most every day. If not then he could be impacted.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kat:

I think you are mis-calculating his length. You measure a straight line from the front of the carapace to the back. He's not 8". Looks more like may 4 or 5?

What a lot of people don't realize is even though your UV bulb is still shining light, the UV portion of the light has long since gone away. You need to replace them appx. every 6 months, even though it still shines light.

Your little guy needs calcium and vitamin d from the sun or from a brand new UV light.

I think you will see a marked improvement in his demeanor if you can put him outside. Stack up a few cinder blocks in a circle or square and partially cover it for shade. I think he's big enough a bird isn't going to carry him off. But bring him in at night.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I'm sorry, we didn't catch your name? Are you in Los Angeles or Los Angeles county?

Give him a good warm soak...see if he drinks that will help him with #2.

Miss_Kat

5 Year Member
LA
impacted is a good thought. :( He has little walnut shells as his substrate. (I think they are walnut) they are what was recommended to me to get for him. His mouth looks like it has a good bit of them kind stuck in there, so I have tried to clean them out. he used to poop a BUNCH, but recently I have not noticed new poop. But, now that I have cleaned his mouth out, he is drinking up a TON of water. I see him gulping it down.

also, I didnt think they were supposed to hibernate, but then was reading that they do... He is pyramiding a bit, not too extreme, but more than I would like to see. I have a vet visit for tomorrow at 4pm, that is the earliest I am able to get an appointment with a vet who does Tortoises.

Oh, also, when I cleaned out his mouth, it looked kinda agape. should they shut their moths completely or does it stay open a little bit? Now that I have cleaned his mouth he is also chowing down on lettuce. I am starting to think that dalano73 may have hit the nail on the head and he is impacted... oh poor poor guy!! I hope that the vet can get me some shots of vitamins to catch him up and something to clear him out. Would that require surgery? He already seems SO much better.

oh, my name is Kat, I live in LA county, Pasadena area.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
No their mouth does not usually stay open. That can also mean something else too. Sometimes when a tortoise can't breath through their nostrils, that means they might have a respiritory problem. But the Vet can check that for you too.

Miss_Kat

5 Year Member
LA
also, where should I get the calcium and vit. d? should I just order it on Amazon? is there a good store in the LA area? I will most likely wait adn ask the vet, but I would love y'alls opinion so that I know if what the vet is trying to sell me is worth it, and what I would pay if I got it elsewhere.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
an RI does not usually require surgery nor does giving a tortoise vitamins from my understanding.

Reptical sells at petco petsmart for about $4 I think make sure it says calcium with d3

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
FernandoM said:
I'm sorry, we didn't catch your name? Are you in Los Angeles or Los Angeles county?

Give him a good warm soak...see if he drinks that will help him with #2.

She posted an introductory post on the "introductions" forum. She is Kat. (But we don't know where she is yet.)

Miss_Kat

5 Year Member
LA
and THANK YOU ALL for your great insight! I am feeling horrible here and hope that with your help and the vet's help we will be able to get Morla back on track!

-this light was replaced 2 days ago :D I have a back up bulb waiting for Jan. to replace it again. :D I would LOVE to be able to have him outside since his cage is HUGE and takes up SO much room!! I re-measured him, and he is not quite 8 inches, closer to 7, I am using my sewing measuring tape and measuring just his shell/carapace.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Miss_Kat said:
he is not quite 8 inches, closer to 7, I am using my sewing measuring tape and measuring just his shell/carapace.

But, you have to measure in a straight line...not up and down over the curve of the shell.

If he truly IS 7" straight carapace length, then he's plenty big enough to live outside 24/7.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Be sure you have a temperature gun, thermometer, or a way to check the heat when you put him outside. Too hot can kill your tortoise if he has been inside all his life. One of my friends was told to put her tortoises outside (they had been kept inside for years and they were growth stunted). Two of them died from the heat. You should also know that the "ground" heat can be much hotter than the air heat. When I checked my temps it was 105 degrees outside, but was 120 degrees on the grass in the sun (would be even hotter on dirt). Limit their outside time to the early morning in the summertime, and provide shade. You can get an 80 percent shade cloth at the hardware store that will provide excellent shade when needed. Don't know what your temps are so maybe this doesn't even apply to you. But, here in AZ it's a concern.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I would change out the walnut shells for plain cheap dirt or cypress mulch. I am happy to hear he is going to the vet. My sulcata got impacted once and I put mineral oil on his food and it worked. The vet can do an enema if he is impacted. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.