I am clueless about my new tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

alejandra92963

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Well I was just "gifted" a sulcatta tortoise. I have no idea what I am supposed to do with him (I think its a him). His name is Tonka and is the first tortoise I have ever owned. He is currently in a glass aquarium with Repti-bark as a substrate. He has a 60watt bulb in a domed light fixture sitting on the wire mesh aquarium top. He has a UV light and a heat pad under one side of the tank. I turn the lights off at night as he lives in my 2 yr old sons room. I feel as if I am not doing him justice. I have cleaned his shell and replaced the substrate that he was previously in. I feed him the complete diet pellets(softened with water) and give him the red gel fruit stuff also. I worry because I have a well and hope that will not hurt him. I haven't ever seen him drink water, and really have no idea what I am doing. amy advice is welcome and appreciated. I am going to post pictures of the enclosure as well as Tonka's underside. Let's hope that "he" is really a he!! Thanks!!!

Alex
first time mom to a tortoise...SAM_0399.JPGSAM_0400.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
That enclosure is way to small for him. Where do you live? Maybe you can make him an outdoor pen. Also I would switch to cypress mulch or coconut husk substrate. He might be old enough for a sand mixture for the substrate. Also get rid of that gel stuff it is no good for him :) You can find some weeds to fed him and buy spring mix at the store for him (pull out any spinach that is in it) and they love prickley pear cactus pads and fruit. Variety is key for a sulcata's diet. Also I would switch the 60 watt to a 100 watt. Also is the 60 watt the UV bulb? Soak him every few days to make sure he is hydrated. Do you have a water bowl in his enclosure? He needs a hide place also. Im thinking he is actually a she. Hope this helps get you started on the right path.

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Good call Marty :) I would agree with a larger enclosure. Sulcatas get huge!!! I have a 40 pound sulcatta myself. If you are able to keep him out doors (warm climate state) I would also suggest a pen. I see you have a water bowl in there. I would put a hide in there to so if he/she wants to cool off they can. 100W bulb i would agree with as well.

As for foods. Gel stuff is no good :(. But lots of things are. They really eat a good mixture of stuff. I live in a coler state and mine spends a lot of time indoors. and we dont get alot of the special greens others get in the warmer stated. So i m stuck with a lot of the grovery store stuff. I give mine green leaf, red leaf, Collard greens, Little bit of Kale, Spring mix, Dandelion greens, some hay, and when its nice he can go outside and eat all my grass and weeds lol...As treats he gets Carrots, Apples, Zucchinni, Strawberry, Melon, Squash, Pumkin, But these are not everyday diet they are used as treats.Theres is great info on the web about sulcatta torts that are very helpful.

Soaking is important. (kiddie pools are great since they get quite large) i use cypress mulch with my sulcata as subtrate.

As far as male or female. Danny on here is the expret but i am leaning towards female possibly as well. But thats a guess.

Good luck hope this helps. If you need anything alwasy feel free to PM me. or email. Everyone here is great. You will love em and they are very helpful :)

alejandra92963

5 Year Member
Virginia
He has a water bowl in the enclosure, but I am not sure if it does him any good. Are they like frogs and absorb water through their skin? I need to get him a bigger space, I am just not sure how to go about that. I live in Va where it gets cold at night and has been nothing but rain and clouds for over a month. I would love to get him outside, but our climate isn't the best for an African tortoise. His UV light is a separate light at the "cool" and of the tank. I will attach a picture of his water bowl to see if we are helping or hurting him. I have other bowls available, as I was given a few when I received Tonka. I want to do what is right, but am afraid I am not going to be able to provide for him like he needs to be. I have been reading about pyramiding, his shell looks like that...could it be the food? I am worried that I am not doing the best I am capable of for him and he deserves better...
Thank you so much for the advice...

Alex
possible pyramiding.JPGsideways tonka.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
the Bowl you have is more like a feeding dish. a cheap inexpensivve way for him soaking and obtaining water is a large kittly litter box and cutting a area of it so he can crawl right in it. You will still need to soak him/her about 2 to 3 times a week. I use my bathtub. Since i also live in a cold state. I am in Michigan.

As far as diet its what your feeding him is not the best but thats what we are here for to help c and give some suggestions. you can also ad some Mazuri to the list we previouse gave and see if he/she will eat that as well. and dont forget calcium powder. :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Regardless of the temps outside...sulcatas do not hibernate. They need a retreat that is at least 5 times their size...and keep it hot and humid...I mean temps of 80-120 and minimum 75% humidity...they can be kept in drier conditions when they get bigger! The pyramiding isn't so bad that it can't be corrected! It will never go away...but it can be controlled provided that heat, humidity, hydration and proper diet are implemented now! Diet may now include some protein such as insects or pinky mice...Tom would probably be a good source for roaches (and not because he is one...:p). Read my signature...keep 'em hot, humid and hydrated and you'll be on your way.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
hmmm do you have a spare room or an office of some sort? maybe you can build him a tort table! They are great and inexpensive. You might want to ask other people for how big it should be but bigger is better! My UV light is my heat lamp because directly under gets to be 113 degrees! I definitely suggest you get a 100 watt UV bulb. Also you can get a 100 watt black ceramic heater bulb for night time so it stays warm because virginia can get cold in the winter. Maybe you can move him out side in the summer. The winter is really only a temporary thing :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Alex:

Welcome to the forum!!

Man-o-man! Nothing like jumping into tortoise-keeping with both feet, huh? As quickly as humanly (read that as $$$$) possible, you need to get that animal OUT OF THAT AQUARIUM and into something bigger. Please understand that this is A # 1 top priority for you for his sake.

When sulcatas are babies, that is, about an inch or two long from front to back, they can live in an aquarium that size, but once they start to grow, they need something bigger. So his main PEN should be set up outside, preferable the whole back yard. When the weather gets too cold for him to be safe outside, then you would have a heated dog house or shed for him to go into. Or even have him set up in the garage or cellar for the winter. But certainly NOT in an aquarium.

Since this has been dropped in your lap, and you are not prepared, you will have to make do with temporary arrangements. What I would do in your place would be to buy one of those kiddie pools. You know, those blue plastic round things that hold water? And set him up in that. It would be best to place it in a quiet room where there isn't too much air flow. Then you would have two ceramic-base light fixtures suspended over the habitat so that they are about 12" from the top of his back. One fixture would hold a UVB light (100 watt or bigger) and the other would hold some sort of heating fixture, either a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) or a red/black light bulb. The UVB light would be on during the day and provide him with heat and vitamin d to make his calcium work, and the CHE/red/black bulb would be on at night to keep him warm with no light. He would also need a hiding place, a feeding tile and a waterer.

If its at all possible, maybe you can have someone build you something for him to spend the winter in. I would suggest nothing smaller than 4'x8'.

This tortoise is big enough that he is going to drive you crazy with his digging and thumping and scraping. That's one reason he needs to be outside in his own heated shed. But if you can put up with all that this winter then set him up outside in the spring, it will be well worth it for you. Sulcatas are very enjoyable animals and he will have you laughing and talking about him all the time.

JourneyTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
DeanS said:
Diet may now include some protein such as insects or pinky mice...Tom would probably be a good source for roaches (and not because he is one...:p). Read my signature...keep 'em hot, humid and hydrated and you'll be on your way.

I do not keep sulcata but I have never heard of feeding them pinky mice, much less protein. Dean can you share your resources on this? I am curious as to where you read this? I guess it is possible for a sulcata in the wild to come upon carrion, just never heard of it before or even thought about feeding them this sort of diet, always thought they were grazers and should not be feed that type of protein??

alejandra92963

5 Year Member
Virginia
Everything I have read about them says that they are Vegan...no meat whatsoever. I have been researching all day and still feel just as bad about him (or her) being in an aquarium as I did this morning. I just want to do whats right for the tort. I wish I could have been more prepared...

franeich

5 Year Member
I dont think I am personally going to start feeding pinky mice any time soon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
alejandra92963 said:
Everything I have read about them says that they are Vegan...no meat whatsoever. I have been researching all day and still feel just as bad about him (or her) being in an aquarium as I did this morning. I just want to do whats right for the tort. I wish I could have been more prepared...

You're right. You don't have to offer him any animal protein. We were having a discussion on another thread about what baby tortoises might find to eat, being hidden underground most of their first year of life.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Welcome to the TFO! There's a lot to do when 'gifted' a tort of that size. Ultimately she will need to be an outdoor critter, so as winter approaches, you can figure out how you want to make her enclosure. For now, the main concern in space. That tank is way too small. You could maybe get away with a tank that had a bigger footprint, but that would last the winter, maybe. If you have a portion of a room you can 'donate' to the tort, that would be most ideal. Lots of good ideas from other people on the forum. RV lived in a glass tank, and then graduated to the side yard (we live in Phoenix AZ - thankfully our winters aren't as bad as yours) As for food: organic. The more you can grow your own, the more sure you are that she is getting good food with no pesticides. Soaks in the tub on a routine basis. Fresh water offered and provided daily.

As for pinkies... We suddenly had an influx of rescue reptiles, and had to raise mice for a while (still do) for feeding. RV was never in the rotation for pinkies. We chopped carrot and tore lg pieces of lettuce. On a lesser scale we fed chopped broccoli, used apple and cantaloupe for treats only. We raised a bed of weeds, and now we have cactus pads growing. The pet store gave us pellets they called 'monkey chow' but RV didn't take to them and we use them for mouse food. We should be getting in Mazuri today or tomorrow so that RV has a staple something over the winter months. She doesn't like hay, altho I'm gonna get a flake of hay from a horse friend and see if I can't re-introduce it to her.

Good luck. The mild pyramiding your tort exhibits, RV also had. She grew out of it. happily. yours can too.

regards, hope this helped

teri

alejandra92963

5 Year Member
Virginia
So how can you tell male or female? they all look the same to me...Thanx Dan!! I guess she is now Tonkette...

alejandra92963

5 Year Member
Virginia
As much as I hate to admit it...I have been sitting at my computer for 12 hours (almost straight) trying to learn as much as I can about these animals. The more I read, the more upset I get. I do not have the room for this. Its almost winter here and I live in a 3 bedroom home with 2 dogs and a small child. I cry as I think about the fact that I can't fix this situation. She deserves a good home with someone who will love her and be able to pay her the attention she will need. As well as the space and diet required. If anyone knows a home that will take care of her, please PM me.

I think its a wonderful thing to be able to care for the torts like they deserve and I think that I am not the one to do this for her.

I am so sorry...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Do NOT be sorry! If you can't handle it, NOW is the time that you need to make the decision! It takes a big person to be able to stand up and say, "This animal deserves better than what I can give." I am proud of you for doing the right thing.

I don't want this experience to sour you on tortoises. We will work on helping you find a home for your Sulcata, but I would like for you to stick around, and learn some more. Russian tortoises for instance look similar and have a similar personality to a Sulcata, but they rarely exceed 8", and usually stay around 6". That is a lot more manageable than a 24", 150lb monster. A little Russian would be a good pet for your household.

Alejandra, where are you located? There are several members here that have the resources and are always willing to take female Sulcata. We will help you. Please don't be upset.

This also, folks, is a reminder why animals are NOT gifts. It is cruel to both the animals and the people involved to thrust them into this kind of situation.

alejandra92963

5 Year Member
Virginia
I appreciate you being kind. I feel horrible as I always take strays into our home, and this is just to much for me. I am not sure that I want her to go, but she deserves better. I have been trying to do whats right and learn all I can, but I think this is just bigger than me. Dogs, cats, rabbits, etc. I handle just fine. This is just a HUGE decision. Maybe later on as my son gets bigger we will get another MUCH SMALLER tort, but now its just too much.

It was gifted to me by my mother in law, as a surprise to me thinking it would be willed to us in later years, who had gotten to where she didn't want it anymore. Her thought was generally that it wasn't her problem and couldn't (or didn't) want to take care of it anymore. I want her to go to a good home, she has a great personality. Her name is Tonka and I can post a picture of her if it helps.

I am in Virginia about 45 mins south of Richmond. If anyone can help please PM me as I haven't left here all day.

Everyone has been very nice to me and I appreciate it as I have had a hard time with it. I will keep her as long as I can, but she is fast outgrowing the aquarium she was given to me in. I knew nothing about the fresh veggies, and she was fed lots of fruit prior to me. I will do my best to remedy that situation, but to be honest, if someone else can care for her and make her a happy tort...please do.

I feel like I am abandoning her,
Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.