I am clueless about my new tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
You are not abandoning her, you are uplifting her ;)

What I would do is go here -

http://tortoiseforum.org/Forum-Adoptions

and start a new thread. Just title it "Probable female Sulcata for adoption."

Give as much info as you can. If you put the thread in the right place with the right title, more people will see it.

It will be okay. And trust me, smaller tortoises are a whole different ballpark. But you are doing the right thing in finding a new home for this girl.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Aweee, please don't be upset, I feel sad for you! You had no idea, and you are doing a great job. You are trying your best and even better you have come to the right place for help. Don't be so hard on yourself, as you had no idea! I am proud of you, for looking and researching and spending so much time learning on how to care for your tortie. Sadly some people won't or don't. I am new here also and I read everything, while my little baby will not get that big, I worry that I will do something wrong. No one wants you to be surprised in a few years when she gets bigger and bigger and BIGGER! Please feel free to PM me if you want to talk, hang in there, everything will be ok! :cool: I almost forgot, welcome!!! ~Mary Anne

alejandra92963

5 Year Member
Virginia
I did as you suggested... I hope that someone can help her better than I can. She shows signs of pyramiding and I hope that the right person can help her get past that. I want her to be able to roam in a space that she can turn around in, and be a happy and loving addition to the right persons family. I fell horrible, and am just waiting to see what the mother in law says when she is no longer here...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The pyramiding is just cosmetic, as far as we know at this point. It is not a death sentence.

Living in that tiny tank would be, however.

You are doing the right thing. I do not, however, envy you the mother-in-law. Sorry but I had to say it :p My MIL terrifies me, and I don't even know why, lol. She weighs a buck four and is 4'9". I could take her if I was half dead. But, she is the dreaded MIL!!!! ;)

alejandra92963

5 Year Member
Virginia
As of right this minute Tonka has had a lukewarm soak, then some warm water soaked pellets on a bed of spring mix, and has gotten a good warm water spray down in her tank. I am doing what I can but I worry. Hot, Humid and happy? I sure hope so. If you are interested in bringing this lovely young lady into your home PM me and we will work something out...

livingenzyme

5 Year Member
Here is an idea. I live in the Chicago area. For the winter, I have several terrariums set up to grow fresh plants. I already have one sulcata about your size. I'll be more than happy to meet you somewhere to pick up your lady.

We need to do something quick, though. Your sulcata is a young one and she already has pyramiding.

During the warm months, I let mine graze the back yard. In the cold months, he gets the various fresh plants and grass I grow inside the house.

Tell me what you think and we can go from there.

Edit.

Oh yeah, when I'm around my sulcata gets to roam the kitchen area with the dogs.

Edit again.

Good god. I could have sworn I saw you said you were in Michigan. I just realized now that you're in Virginia. Anyone here know if shipping this animal is an option?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Enzyme.. what are you going to do when your sulcatas get big? I could not imagine mine living in the house!! the stink, the mess the damage...

livingenzyme

5 Year Member
Laura said:
Enzyme.. what are you going to do when your sulcatas get big? I could not imagine mine living in the house!! the stink, the mess the damage...

Unlike most people, I'm willing to go pretty far for my pets. I have 3 extra bedrooms in my house so they could stay in the winter months. For the warm months, they could roam the yard, which is fenced in. As they get older, I plan to gradually modify the fence to reenforce.

Trust me, I'm not like some people who will simply give up at the first sign of trouble.

My brother's dog recently had puppies. He got a call from this woman, who happens to be adopted herself. She bought a puppy. 2 days later, she called me and asked me if I knew a shelter she could take the dog to. Absolutely frightened, I paid her cash the exact amount she paid to get back the dog. No family dog of mine was going to go into the shelter. Get this, the reason she wanted to send the dog to the shelter was because the pup was crying all night. That's what puppies do during the first couple nights at a new home, idiot!

The point is I don't give up very easily and I'm willing to go through more than what most people are willing to do. And I'm not afraid of inconvenience, either. Beside, it will be a number of years before they get to 100+ lb. I'm sure by that time I'll be able to arrange something much nicer.

Just think of it this way. How many people you know are willing to grow grass and weeds in the house for the sole purpose of feeding the tortoise?

livingenzyme

5 Year Member
finleafeater said:
livingenzyme said:
Just think of it this way. How many people you know are willing to grow grass and weeds in the house for the sole purpose of feeding the tortoise?

I think we have a couple thousand members on this forum :p

Haha, I guess you're right. The point is I don't give up at the first sign of trouble like most people. And I'm willing to do a lot to accomodate for my pets.

Speaking of which, I just ordered some mazuri. Hopefully, my little one will pick up his growth rate.

Edit.

And I'm not one of those people who are anal about maintaining my house like a semi-lived in museum. When you step in my home, I can guarantee you that it will feel like an honest to god home and not like a goddamn museum. And no, it's not a mess. It's just homey.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
egyptiandan said:
Looks like a female to me :D

Danny

That's exactly what I was thinking. I guess I'm getting better at this. :D

Anyway welcome to the forum and who gives a two year old Sulcata to someone as a gift? :D Especially when you know nothing about them. :p Well you've come to the right place to find the information that you need. Take it easy and there's lots of people on here with Sulcatas that can help you make him the best home ever. ;)

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
finleafeater said:
livingenzyme said:

I think we have a couple thousand members on this forum :p

You know your a tortoise LOVER when you grow grass and weeds inside your house, in every windowsill facing south :D and proud of it :D LOL!!!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Now that's the truth. You must love your torts a lot. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.