New to tortoises. And a new Sulcata.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmarkovich

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Milwaukee, WI
Hello!

I am writing from Wisconsin and I have just acquired a sulcata from a family he "outgrew." I have not brought him home yet as I am in the middle of moving and need to build him a condo for when he gets here.

Anyway, I was told he is 8 years old (assumed male, seems right as far as I can tell) and has been owned by them for all 8 of his years. They bought him as a hatchling from a pet store that raises and adopts unwanted Sulcata's. I was told he weighs around 20-25 pounds. I had no problem picking him up and would guess that weight is about right. They don't feed him any grasses or hay (because he apparently doesn't like them) and gets romaine everyday with some peppers and other veggies. I am worried about his size; is that too small for an 8 year old? I was told he getsa $100 dual bulb light (whatever that is) so I have no idea if that includes enough UVB or what. He is kept warm enough and does have a basking light. They sometimes forget to soak him at least once a week.

I am really nervous about bringing him home and not doing everything right. I know what I am getting into. However, a lot of the researching I have done has some conflicting issues about diet and housing. I plan on keeping him inside for the winters as they are very brutal here. I also would prefer to bring him inside at night since people have been known to steal these guys. I have a finished basement I can build a habitat in that will be very very large.

I have never owned any kind of torti but have had RES's. I also would love insight on their personalities and how/if they bond with their people. Any and all advice to get me started would be great! I have also been reading through the forums on here.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Sounds like this sully could use a new home. He needs a much better diet. He probably is a little small for his age, as he has not been fed the best diet. Keep him outside as much as possible for natural grazing. Feed Mazuri, optunia cactus pads, rose of Sharon, hibiscus, mulberry, as much variety as possible. Check out the tortoisetable.org for more ideas.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Hi and welcome :) I'm happy he is with you now :) You have definitely come to the right place to help your new shelled family member :)

Life is good

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "K", and welcome to the Forum!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the Forum. Keeping a sulcata in Milwaukee is going to be a challenge. Several of the members here are from cold weather climates and they do just fine. There is no reason that you can't be successful. Read everything here and don't be afraid to ask questions. We love to help. No need to feel nervous about doing everything right. None of us do.

kmarkovich

5 Year Member
Milwaukee, WI
Do you think a 12X12 enclosure (indoor) is big enough? At least for the next 2 years? If he outgrows that sooner, I have space to expand. Also, I like the idea of using soil as his substrate and in his "den" damp peat moss or coconut fiber. Thoughts? Has anyone noticed a preference? Does it range from tort to tort? I am thinking of building it from wood and using chloroplast on the bottom. How tall should it be? I was assuming about 3' should be sufficient. I have been combining idea's from the housing threads :)

He is also going to the vet on the 24th, when I bring him home. The vet I use for my bird and rabbit was listed on here and on the exotic vet site.

Thanks again everyone!
-Krystyn

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A 12 foot by 12 foot enclosure would be good for some time. I like coconut coir, it's all I use. However, a lot of members don't like it because the tort can mess the water up easy with it. However, it holds humidity the best and won't mold.

kmarkovich

5 Year Member
Milwaukee, WI
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:) Sounds like this sully could use a new home. He needs a much better diet. He probably is a little small for his age, as he has not been fed the best diet. Keep him outside as much as possible for natural grazing. Feed Mazuri, optunia cactus pads, rose of Sharon, hibiscus, mulberry, as much variety as possible. Check out the tortoisetable.org for more ideas.

Tortoisetable.org doesn't work/exist :-\

rideburton87

5 Year Member
NW burbs, Illinois
I live about half hour from the boarder (Gurnee area) and I liked using coco coir and soil mix. I was able to grow grasses and weeds in it from seed. The coco coir is great for holding moisture and keeping the humidity up and I'm guessing because of the soil I could grow the plants (not sure if they'd grow in just coir). Plus the soil is a lot cheaper.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
kmarkovich said:
wellington said:

Tortoisetable.org doesn't work/exist :-\

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

Sulcatas ROCK!

I have a 13 year old, that is pushing 95 lbs. My raised Garden is 26" high and he cant get in it....yet. So a 3' wall will be more than high enough. These guys like to dig, so what ever substrate you decide on.... expect him to dig and push it around. 12 X 12 will be large enough for a couple of more years, just make sure that during the winters there is enough UV lighting and heat emitters.... these guys do not hiburnate and will be active all year round.... tho they do slow way down during cold months

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
he needs to outside as much as possible. your winters are going to be hard. they Do Not hibernate, so he will need a warm area that is large enough he can get exercise, and proper food and lighting and Heat. It can get expensive as well.
It can be done, but not cheaply.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
Welcome and for the very best information on Sulcatas read Tom's threads!

Status
Not open for further replies.