New Greek Tortoise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
...also, Egyptian doesn't have a 'skirt' but the marginated tortoise does have a skirt.

tortoisept

5 Year Member
... well.. I see you don trust the opinion of egyptian tortoise keepers here... so... yep, do whatever.. take them to the vet if you want, most likely he wont know how to distinguish them either if he has no special interest in reptilies and chelonia.

nothing you'll say or believe it is real unfortunately for you, you still have egyptian tortoises.. lol
if I was closer to you I'll happily give you 4 or 5 of greek tortoises for your 2 male egyptians.. my egyptian herd could have 2 more males on it. lol

peace

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
It's sad reading through this. You have 2 Egyptian tortoises, both male, both critically endangered. They are not Greeks or any species of Greeks. You cannot get babies(it's eggs first in tortoises, then they hatch, that's what we call babies) from 2 males, no 2 male specimens can produce offspring on this planet, that's basic knowledge. If you feel you got scammed, we'll you did. But his loss your gain. Obviously that makes no wage on you though. Your best bet is to research them here on the forum and elsewhere and find some females. These are properly extinct in Egypt, and critically endangered with eminent extinction in Israel and Libya where they are only found. If you feel you want Greeks. I can put in you touch with an Italian friend of mine who would gladly take them and give you real Greeks for them. These are precious specimens and should be cherished.

Previous questions asked;
Put the, on dirt,sand mixed with dirt, or crushed rock,
They need a shallow water,
Soak them every 2-3 days. Shallow water (about 3/4" deep and 90-95F temperature)
Spray them down in the mornings with a spray bottle with warm water,
Keep a hot side to their enclosure around 100+ F
Keep a cooler side around mid to high 80s
Let the temps drop to mid 70sF at night sometimes cooler
Feed them grass,weeds,greens, no fruit,
Provide lots of calcium(either sprinkled on the food in powder form or offer a cuddle bone[cuddle bone is what pet birds chew on, it's shaped like a piece of chicken strip and chalky white])
Provide UVB lighting, either outside time or from a petshop they sell fixtures, but being Malta your sunshine is perfect for them. Just remember to offer shade when they are outside direct UV rays can kill them by heat exhaustion and cardiac arrest if over heated.

Should be good for now. Also a word of advice. Don't come onto a forum and tell us we are wrong, when your asking the questions.

Last edited:

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I don't have much to add, except that I agree with the identification of two male Egyptians. I'm sorry you got scammed, and you're right to be upset, but when this many people here are telling you something (with nothing to lose) vs. one seller who has a lot to lose and obviously doesn't know much...I'm not sure why you would choose to believe the seller. All people here care about is the well-being of the tortoises.

That being said, I strongly encourage you to list the two torts for sale on the forums here where they can be cared for by an experienced keeper. You should start with a more appropriate beginners species and with how critically endangered Egyptians are, it's more important than ever that these animals are properly cared for to ensure the longevity of the species. This would make it easier on you as a new keeper and on these fragile and special torts. If, heaven forbid, something happened to them, it would be a tragic loss. However, these are my beliefs and I can't make you do something you don't want to do. I hope you'll take the advice of the members here and make a smart decision. We only care about helping new keepers and the wellbeing of their animals.

Naxxar
So oyur saying egyption tortoise are exticnt? than how I got 2 of them? If so it is rare to find female for them to grow the population. Im gonna keep them but may buy a pair of different breed in future.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I agree that it might be a good idea for you to sell them, and start with an easier species.

And I would encourage you to sell them here to a reputable, experienced keeper. You can create an ad in our classefied forums.

Otherwise try to find local conservation programs or zoos who may be able to take them in.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
They are properly extinct in Egypt, and critically endangered in Libya and Israel. Properly extinct means when search studies within a certain square kilometer or mile grid is done and find no specimens year after year, then they elevate them to "properly extinct" . There aren't enough population to diversify reproduction successfully. They are too spread out within the range in EGYPT. Not in Libya or Israel, they are still found there but still extremely endangered.

Naxxar
Finally Zilla (The tortoise that I think it is a female and not a Male) let her tail out today and I managed to capture some shots of her tail a closeup view which doesnt look really large tail can you pls try to reidentify it? and also I posted a picture of her from the upview :p thanks!

DSC00905.JPG DSC00906.JPG DSC00907.JPG DSC00910.JPG DSC00912.JPG ZZZ.JPG

Naxxar
I uploaded a photo Zilla (Female) & Zaros (Male) photo by photo to see diference of tail Zilla tail is smaller than Zaros and it is triangle liek females. pls check it out.

zilla-zaros-jpg.78594

Attachments

• zilla zaros.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 73

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
They still look both male. Like Kelly, I could easily get you a breeding pair of Greeks if that's what you want in exchange for them.