New Greek Tortoise

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND

They need heatlamps and to put one on top of this is a major fire hazard. Reptiles are coldblooded and need to be able to regulate their own temperatures. Your little ones are scared and cold and likely to get sick.

Also, iceburg and romaine are not a nutritionally complete diet.

I stand by my original statement. Please rehome these tortoises for a single beginner species and take time to properly research tortoise care.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is much more satisfactory than the open, tiled space you had them in at first. Because you take them out in the sun every day, you don't need a UVB light, but they still DO need a heat source. You can hang a regular bulb over the box to provide a spot where they can sit under the light to warm up.

You can offer them any of the greens that you can buy in the produce market.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Yes you can buy halogens spots they are very warm and not expensive. Also please go in your garden or on a field what ever and take some earth from there. Don't take newsletter.

Dorrie Siu

Okay so now he knows and believes us, this is a place for learning! He will be able to trust us more! :) At least he admitted it and apologized, that is more than a lot of people will do. I'm just glad they are better set up than they were, hopefully he will be able to get them heat soon. Thank you for setting them up better!

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Just because he ""believes"" us doesn't mean he's going to take our advice.. Just look at how long it took for him to believe they were male!

Naxxar
I went to a pet shop to buy a female tort and he told me they dotn have to be both egyption btu as logn as they both are medeteranian then they both fit. Also when i went to them now I am in more doubt they checed the mand at first told me both female i have (Facepalm) becuase they dotn have a whole in there bottom shell then told mego to vet to be sure... lol

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
From my experience and from what I've read of others experience with pet shop employees is that they are uneducated and misinformed. More often than not they have no idea what they are talking about.
Your best information will come from this forum or a reptile vet with plenty of experience in tortoise and turtle care.

Luke&Lou

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well the first problem with this pet shop is that he told you it's ok to inter grade species. That's like breeding a gorilla and Japanese macaque, we don't do that, you shouldn't do that. Especially with such critically endangered species. They are both males. What you need is not a female tortoise, you need a female Kleinmanni(Egyptian tortoise) to suit with those EGYPTIAN males you have.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The pet store is in business to sell stuff and make money. They're going to tell you whatever they have to in order to sell you something. Don't take their advice.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
If you want females, and you'll pay the price, then they are available. I reckon with transport it will set you back almost 1500 euros

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
And you shouldn't have 1 female and two males...she will be harrassed to death. If you want females you should have 3 or 4, not just one.

A hole in the bottom of the shell? That pet store obviously doesn't know where tortoise organs are.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A hole in the bottom of the shell? That pet store obviously doesn't know where tortoise organs are.

This is just a problem with the language barrier. I'm pretty sure they mean an indentation like what some species of male tortoises have