New Greek Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Naxxar
I am going to buy 2x Greek Land Tortoise sooner today Male & Female what I need to set for them? and how can I breed them later? thanks!

Naxxar
From where I bought them he told me to take the Female smaller in size than the Male so they can breed good later. I put them in a small yard and made them a shoe box as a home where to hide and at night im planning to put them in a Terrarium.

What can I do to breed them? He said I need lot of soil... Shall I buy a pot fill it all with soil and build a ramp from the yard to the top of the top so the female can go there to lay eggs in the future?

Also what shall I add in this small yard for them to be more happy? & to be ready for breading.

From where I bought them he said that both the Male and Female are 5 years old and ready for breeding and he told me the season for them to bread is in summer starts form next June. Is that true? and hwo can I check their gender to confirm that they are really male and female?

Any way to make them like me? When I go near them they just enter in their shell... I want to eat from my hands and like me. what can I do to teach them things?

Still thinking for a name to name them.

Thanks for now! :)

Naxxar
I will take them some and upload wait. Also how can I confirm that they are really 5 years old?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Please read the care sheet at the top of the page. And you should post some photos so we can ID the tortoises correctly for you.

As for breeding, these aren't like rodents, so there's more to it then just "throwing them together" usually.

As for what you were told about the smaller female and successful breeding, that makes no sense. In fact many male tortoises will favor the larger females in a group especially when it comes to Testudo species.

Also, they will never "like" you. They will become more outgoing and will learn to associate you as their source for food in time. Many will run to their owners for food items but this simply a feeding response stimulated by the constants associated with feeding regime and familiar sites.

It's best to set them up correctly and leave them be for a while, no tortoise likes to be picked up so only do this when absolute necessary especially in the beginning.

Sorry to be so brief but I'm out the door right now. I'm sure plenty of folks will jump on here to help you.

Photos are important because there are many subspecies of Greek tortoise and not all are kept the same.

MichaelNguyen7396

5 Year Member
How old and size of the torts? Tortoise can be aggressive living together so I would suggest you keep an eye on both to see there activities with each other whether they are fighting or what not

kmartin

central Florida
There is no way to confirm actual age since growth, size, and weight depend on care and feeding. And some mature to a breeding side rather than age. Their ability to breed will be determined more by the size of the female and the environment being optimal for her to lay a clutch. She will not lay a viable clutch if her needs are not met. Although that won't stop the male from trying!!

Naxxar
Here are the photos I know for now their yard isn't that good.

Male Tortoise:

am8pqr.jpg

Female Tortoise:

27y2552.jpg

Box to Hide:

2wqxxlu.jpg

Half of the Yard (Male Tortoise Included):

2145lhf.jpg

I know this isn't really good for now but that is why I am here. What kind of pot shall I add to lay eggs in it? & I also got Terrarium inside for night time. Thanks!

Naxxar
pls reply... also is it normal the male kept running around the yard and the female just ate then she stayed in 1 spot for long time and still there?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Well, I'm sorry to have to tell you, but what you have for the tortoises is all wrong.

First of all, female tortoises dig a deep hole in the ground to lay eggs in, then covers it up. They need to be outside on soil.

Secondly, a shoe box isn't a good hiding place.

If you're going to keep them indoors, they need to have a UVB light. They have to be able to warm up their inner body core to at least 85F degrees. If they can't warm up, they won't eat.

There's just no way two tortoises of that size can live in a terrarium. Don't listen to the pet store guy. He's telling you all the wrong information. Please read the care sheet that hermannichris told you about. If you couldn't find it, here's a link:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

Naxxar
1st of all the pic I showed you is outside and not inside. 2nd I can make them on the roof but there will be my cat and dog there too :/ and I can make them a pot for soil.

Naxxar
Is it normal that the Male tortoise is moving all the time and the Female stopped there just ate something and stopped in the spot for long time. Is the female normal? I just got them both today he said they are 5 years old both. I need help ID them too.

HerpMS

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL.
Hi there! My torts have different activity levels as well. I would say it's normal, but as you get to know them, you'll also learn what their usual behavior is.

In order to confirm their ID and genders, you'll need to post some pictures for the members to see. Also, if you just continue posting to your original thread, it will help members remember the context of who is posting and about what. That might help you get answers to your questions instead of posting new threads with repeat questions. Looking forward to seeing your torts!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
From the tone of your response to mine, I'm guessing that I came across a little harsh or abrupt. I'm very sorry for that. I meant no disrespect.

Naxxar
ok no problem :)

My problem is I don't own a garden but im sure I can make them live happy life and breed them too. I am here to get help how to care about them.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
the male is running around and the female is staying in one spot because they feel vulnerable and out in the open. They are in a huge wide space with nothing, so there is really no where for them to hide and feel secure. They need soil, plants all around (either real or fake), some flat rocks, driftwood, empty half logs, etc. They are stressed. Some respond by being hyper, others respond by not moving at all. It needs to look and feel like nature as much as possible.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Hi! I posted to your other thread. In that thread I answered why they are acting the way they are.