New enclosures are here!

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
These are 360 gallon industrial containers, and are 9’x5’x2’ deep. They cost slightly more than cattle stock tanks, but because they are rectangular they use space more efficiently.

I am REALLY tempted to do a pond, but they’re actually planned for tortoises. I am going to put 10-12” of moist soil in them, for females to lay eggs in the winter. Right now, I have a female cherryhead that retains eggs every winter. I got her to use a nest box a couple times, but most years she will not. So, this is my attempt at a solution.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan
What a great find! What is that container typically used for? or what would I ask for if I was trying to find one local to me? I just bought a stock tank that is approx 4x5 feet for my 1 year old Hermann’s tortoise, but down the road when he’s bigger, something like this could be ideal. I’d love to see these when you have them all set up!

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
What a great find! What is that container typically used for? or what would I ask for if I was trying to find one local to me? I just bought a stock tank that is approx 4x5 feet for my 1 year old Hermann’s tortoise, but down the road when he’s bigger, something like this could be ideal. I’d love to see these when you have them all set up!

Look for “Secondary containment” or “poly containment tanks.” There are a lot of distributors that ship them but shipping is expensive. I really wanted a different model that was about 8.5’ x 5.5’ x 16” and was black, but I could not find a local distributor. There is a huge range of sizes available...

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Look for “Secondary containment” or “poly containment tanks.” There are a lot of distributors that ship them but shipping is expensive. I really wanted a different model that was about 8.5’ x 5.5’ x 16” and was black, but I could not find a local distributor. There is a huge range of sizes available...

That’s excellent information! Thank you for the details, I appreciate it.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
For anyone reasonably local, the distributor I used was chemical containers inc. in Lyons GA. Some distributors give online prices, like Plastic-mart.com and tank-depot.com, but require you to contact them for freight charges.

Texas
Yea I was looking at tank depot online. Seems like a good option, but wanted to wait until the best way/ intex pools are cheaper when all this pandemic thing subdues or atleast when shipping get back to normal. Those pools used to be 75-$150 for 435-840 gallons but have since gone up to $300-$400

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I looked at pools but they are not durable or permanent enough for me.