Faux rock design help

heathedw

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham AL
Anyone created a fake rock out of concrete before? I have a upside down kids pool my sulcate loves to hide under during the summer. I'm tired of looking at the pool so would rather create a big rock out of it. Make it more natural looking. I have found different things online but wondered if you guys had tips or experience? Pic attached.

Thanks if advance.

Attachments

• tortpool.jpg
    tortpool.jpg
    911 KB · Views: 35

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wish I could help. I have wanted to make one for quite some time. Keep,tabs on what you do and share with us:) Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a great idea. You would have to make supports inside the pool because the heavy weight of the cement would make it collapse. But I can see a great big boulder in my mind's eye. Let us know how it works out.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

heathedw

5 Year Member
Birmingham AL
What a great idea. You would have to make supports inside the pool because the heavy weight of the cement would make it collapse. But I can see a great big boulder in my mind's eye. Let us know how it works out.

747117wei24kafiu.gif
OK, maybe someone will chime in with a good recipe to make faux rocks. I'm gonna give it a try if I can just get a firm idea on the mix and spray that's used. I hate to mess it up experimenting.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wonder if spray foam would work better. Light weight, easy to use and then you could paint it rock color.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Something more like stucco or EIFS would be lighter weight.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have seen the spray foam used, but for inside enclosures. I guess if you painted it with a good water proof paint then maybe it would withstand the weather, but maybe not the tort?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Good idea, mine just hides in her new burrow instead :) You could cover it in something lighter first (like the suggestion spray foam) and them pour concrete over it.