New Enclosure for Russian

Snads

5 Year Member
I'm somewhat new to this forum, but I excited to be adopting a Russian Tortoise from Blake soon, so I've started working on an enclosure for him. I have attached what I've done so far. Just curious to see what you think and if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1440358284032.jpg
    1440358284032.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 38
  • 1440358299766.jpg
    1440358299766.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 35

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
What are it's dimensions? Glad to see a hide of some sort. Are you going to sink a terra cotta saucer?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Looks like a nice space. My Russians love to hide under hostas. Rose of Sharon is a great bush to plant too.

Snads

5 Year Member
Thanks! It's about 9 by 5 feet. I have a water dish, but a Terra cotta saucer would be perfect. I'm a little worried about planting a bush, since we are currently renting. But I'll see how he likes the hide and make another if he doesn't seem happy with the one. We will be buying a home within the next few months and it will have an even bigger yard, so when that happens, I'll look into having a bush or two in his enclosure. Thanks for the suggestions

Snads

5 Year Member
I could always pull the bricks out more too to make it bigger, if he doesn't have enough room.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Plant the rose of Sharon. You can always dig it up or cut it down if your landlord objects.

The habitat may heat up from absorbed & reflected heat, so shade is important. You can always spray it down on very hot days. You'll have to monitor it - which you were planning to do anyway, I'm sure.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
That sounds good. I think this will work! He definitely likes to sit under things when it's hot, obviously. You might need to pull the bricks out, but that'll be up to you.

Snads

5 Year Member
I think I'll look for a bush to plant if I can. I will definitely monitor the temperature to make sure that it is cool enough in the hide. I also plan to spray him down with water regularly. Thanks for the help everyone.