Enclosure liners

Walter21

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hi everyone, I am in the process of creating a new enclosure for my Russian tortoise. We are nearing the end and I am wondering what everyone uses to line their enclosure? I was thinking maybe 6 mil plastic or a shower pan. I am looking for something that is easily cleanable or disposable. Any suggestions would be great. I’ve attached two photos of what the new enclosure will look like. IMG_0250.jpgIMG_0251.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you've got a digger, the plastic doesn't last very long. Pond liner might be better.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Either one is fine. Rts like to dig. Pond liner is much more durable.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would silicone caulk the area between floor and wall. Then just seal the wood with marine paint, outdoor paint or even a sealer, because you already have linoleum down on the floor that will protect the wood floor.
Cheap plastic doesn't work for Russians, I know by experience using it. Pond liner or the shower liner on a roll that Home Depot sells works really well. I have it on my tortoises shed floor

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I see you already built it, but in the past I have built enclosures that were sized so that the cement mixing tubs would fit inside. Very easy to hose out and durable.

Walter21

Maryland
I'm new to tortoise keeping, and I didn't heard of liner in a tortoise table, is it necessary or we can also weatherproof the table?

When I first got my Walter he had worms and stuff so I had to change his dirt and wipe down his glass enclosure frequently. I am looking for something I can put inside or line the wood with so if he does get sick again I am able to disinfect it without replacing all the wood. Plus I’d like to protect to the wood from growing any type of mold that may be caused by a damp substrate.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Which do you recommend? Does the same type work for redfoots too?
Yes, will work for RF. The sealer/paint, takes longer as you have to let it dry if course, but as air out until all smells is gone, but probably a bit cheaper. The liner probably more expensive but much quicker.

Walter21

Maryland
I would silicone caulk the area between floor and wall. Then just seal the wood with marine paint, outdoor paint or even a sealer, because you already have linoleum down on the floor that will protect the wood floor.
Cheap plastic doesn't work for Russians, I know by experience using it. Pond liner or the shower liner on a roll that Home Depot sells works really well. I have it on my tortoises shed floor

Do you recommend a certain brand or type of shower liner / pond liner?

ColaCarbonaria

Pensacola, Florida
Which do you recommend? Does the same type work for redfoots too?

Just got through applying first coat of Rustoleum counter top paint to inside of closed chamber I’m working on. Others on here recommended it and seems like good stuff. Strong odor! And I was outside on my deck. If you’re inside get the windows open with a fan.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Yes, will work for RF. The sealer/paint, takes longer as you have to let it dry if course, but as air out until all smells is gone, but probably a bit cheaper. The liner probably more expensive but much quicker.

I have to go with the liner. Dont have the luxury of open air.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Just got through applying first coat of Rustoleum counter top paint to inside of closed chamber I’m working on. Others on here recommended it and seems like good stuff. Strong odor! And I was outside on my deck. If you’re inside get the windows open with a fan.

Live in an apt and too many dogs and cat. Including my pregnant wife.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I used staples along the edge and glued seams together. But there is a glue you can use on the whole thing