New Enclosure for Maggie and Molly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
It took us longer than expected to get this put together, and there is one more thing I need to do before I'll consider it done, but the girls have been enjoying it for a week now and we're all really happy with it.
Heat: I followed Madkins directions for installing heat cable under the substrate, and that is keeping the temps throughout the enclosure in the 80 degree range. The only spot where it gets cooler (mid 70s) is on the right end where the substrate is built up around the plants. I did not put cable under the center area, as the MVB keeps that warm during the day, the CHE at night. Other than a nine inch strip of hardware cloth in the center, the top is tightly covered with acrylic at all times.
Humidity: I keep both far ends really wet, and there are 8 or so nightcrawlers living in the enclosure. I also dump water in the center section, where there's no heat cable, to help moderate the heat from the MVB. I spray the moss on top of, inside of, and in front of the humid hide each morning and evening. The readings are 99% in the corners, furthest from the MVB, all the time. The reading halfway between the MVB and the corners runs in the 60s. I checked inside the humid hide this afternoon, and it was 88% in there, 9 hours after the last spraying.
Hides: The humid hide in on the left side, an old piece of cottonwood bark propped up on two peices of rock, and covered with frog moss. The frog moss has been thus installed for 6 weeks and seems happy. The torts use this hide often, and usually sleep there at night. They also like to hang out some in the spaces I allowed between the plants and the ends of the enclosure, also covered in frog moss. Very private.
This enclosure has been a big improvement for the girls. In their previous place, they didn't like their humid hide, and they tended not to bask, either. Now they spend lots of time in the hide, and begin each day with a nice sunbath.
Safety: the wire screen was removed for the first two photos, but is now wired to the red plastic lid of the Christmas tree box. The lights in turn have small holes drilled in their lips and are secured to the wire screen.
Left end of enclosure, showing plants and humid hide.
100_0303.jpg

Right end of enclosure, showing plants and worm habitat.
100_0304.jpg

Front of enclosure.
100_0305.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Fancy smantzy.

Is that probe on the end of the black wire your humidity gauge? I have two like that and they are consistently 10-15% low.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Wow, looks great!

Wish I had something more to say, but you did a nice job there!

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Tom said:
Fancy smantzy.

Is that probe on the end of the black wire your humidity gauge? I have two like that and they are consistently 10-15% low.

Yes, that's the humidty gauge. This one must work. It usually hangs in the corner by the humid hide, just above the substrate. It was reading 99% all the time, so much that I was wondering if it had water in it, or was just not functioning. But when I move the probe, the reading changes. That gauge says that the humidity in my house, in rooms where I don't have plants, runs about 25%.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Very very niceee, I love it :D you did a very good job! What kind of fern is it in the enclosure? It looks very nice :)

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
There are two ferns, one behind the other. The front fern is an Autumn Fern, the rear one is a Boston Compacta. The girls nibble on the Boston, but haven't sampled the Autumn yet.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
It looks fantastic! Maggie and Molly are lucky little torts :) (Where are pictures of the girls?!)
How do you like the cypress mulch as a substrate? I only hear rave reviews about it, but I'm skeptical to try it because it seems like it would be splintery :p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
What a great enclosure. I love the Christmas tree storage bin. I have my Ornate in that now for the winter. I never thought of making a cut out of the cover. Great idea.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Those Christmas tree storage bins are just great for tortoise habitats. Yours look so pretty!! You did a great job. However, I must say that to see the lid cut like that sort of made my stomach pucker. I understand why you did it, and it works great as a climbing inhibitor, but it makes me cringe to see it cut! :shy:

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Those Christmas tree storage bins are just great for tortoise habitats. Yours look so pretty!! You did a great job. However, I must say that to see the lid cut like that sort of made my stomach pucker. I understand why you did it, and it works great as a climbing inhibitor, but it makes me cringe to see it cut!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yvonne G.

Yeah, cutting the lid up kind of commits the container to only one purpose. And I don't care for the red lid. BUT, the lid adds 3 or so inches to the wall height, so I didn't want to eliminate it altogether. I like to see and torts and have access to them, hence the choice to alter the lid by essentially replacing the top of it with acrylic.

It looks fantastic! Maggie and Molly are lucky little torts (Where are pictures of the girls?!)
How do you like the cypress mulch as a substrate? I only hear rave reviews about it, but I'm skeptical to try it because it seems like it would be splintery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Katie
Thanks! The girls' photos were in my recent thread 2 Months in Wyoming. I like the cypress mulch for substrate, but have to admit that I haven't used anything else, other than mixing in a little sphagnum moss. It isn't splintery, the girls can dig in it if they want, and it's completely compatible with the plants and even the nightcrawlers.

Status
Not open for further replies.