Heating issue in new enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeving

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, CO
So I just finished a new enclosure for a new RF and I can't seem to be able to get the temp high enough in the humid end of the enclosure. Before we get started on this, yes this is a total ripoff of The Trash Mahal (I also used 75% stuff I was able to scrap too).

On the hot end of the enclosure I have a 160w ZooMed sun bulb. No problems on that end. On the hide end I have a 12 foot and 18 foot heat rope from Big Apple. I zig zagged the 12 foot with about an 1 between the rope all through the hide and under the humid part of the hide. The 18 foot rope is spaced about 2 inches apart and is zig zagged in the open area just outside the hide. The rope is burried in about an inch and a half of top soil covered with about 1.5 to 2 inches of cypress mulch in the open area, topsoil with a ceramic title for the humid hide and only topsoil and moss in the hide. To keep this area humid I have a plexiglass lid over the area with a piece of vinyl air curtain hanging partway down on the open end (tort can easily pass under it). I have the thermostat turned all the way up to 108 degrees and have a hard time keeping the heat in the 77-79 degree area. No problem keeping the humidity in the 70-85%, but that really only makes it kind of clammy.

Does anyone have suggestions to help balance the enclosure?

Attachments

• IMG_2433.JPG
    IMG_2433.JPG
    594.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2431.JPG
    IMG_2431.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2437.JPG
    IMG_2437.JPG
    884.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2435.JPG
    IMG_2435.JPG
    748.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2434.JPG
    IMG_2434.JPG
    629.1 KB · Views: 64

mightymizz

5 Year Member
You might need to find some way of incorporating a CHE into the hide area.

I just got my first heat rope today from BigApple so I can't really comment on that except mine doesn't seem to get as hot as I thought it might. (just from feeling it)

Looks nice so far! I am sure others will be in to give their thoughts as well!

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Consider using a Radiant Heat Panel to help increase the heat - they don't get hot to the touch, so putting one under that ledge area you have there wouldn't be a hazard. If you put it on a thermostat, you'd be able to keep it in the temp range you were hoping for.

-Jen

leeving

5 Year Member
Broomfield, CO
So I've determined that I will need to add a CHE to my enclosure. The heat rope is just not doing the job the way I thought it would. My question now is where should I place the thermostat? Right now it is attached to the heat rope. I really only want to run one thermostat for both the heat ropes and CHE. I was thinking I would take the thermostat probe off the heat rope and place it somewhere near the top of substrate but not directly under the CHE. The thermostat can handle turning off and on three different objects from the one probe. Anyone already got a solid solution to this problem?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I believe that you should use a separate thermostat for the heat rope and the heat source (CHE or whatever you use). Your target temp might be different for these two heat sources, as they function very differently. You don't want either one to overheat.
The instructions for the Big Apple heat ropes are pretty specific that you need to keep the thermostat probe right next to the heat ropes for them to function normally.
You can get reliable, reasonably priced thermostats in the electric section of Home Depot or Lowe's.

The heat ropes are not designed to heat the ambient air, just the substrate, to keep it warm, but not hot. They do help raise the humidity if the substrate is moist.
The CHE or radiant panel would help raise the air temp.

Nice job!

Status
Not open for further replies.