Lighting question

dannylozano10

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio,tx
I'm getting a new and bigger enclosure before my tort is ready to come to he/she's new home lol but I only have 1 mvb bulb and I will put that on one side will that be enough heat and uvb for the 1 tortoise?(there will be a humid hide with sphagnum moss in it on the other end of the enclosure).or should I put a CHE for the other side where the hide will be for night heat or have a Che on the mvb basking side?

Do you think I will even need a CHE?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most likely a Che is needed. However, where are you located and what kind of tort and how old? A humid hide needs to be warm, at least 80 for most.

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
Most likely a Che is needed. However, where are you located and what kind of tort and how old? A humid hide needs to be warm, at least 80 for most.
I am located in San Antonio will get hot for most of the year but not my house it's always cold lol :( I actually am preparing my enclosure already because my tortoise is not ready yet.(so I don't have one yet)but I will buy a CHE only if temps are too cold

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
An MVB on one side will be all you need for a russian as long as your house has "normal" room temps. Cold nights during winter won't matter for you either, since you are planning on hibernating your tortoise.

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
An MVB on one side will be all you need for a russian as long as your house has "normal" room temps. Cold nights during winter won't matter for you either, since you are planning on hibernating your tortoise.
Thanks tom ;) really appreciate all of your helpful advice

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

For a large open table, I would buy the 160 watt size MVB. Build some sort of mount, so you can hang it over the table and adjust the height to get the correct temperature under it. Then go to Home Depot and buy this fixture: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Designers-Edge-10-1-2-in-Brooder-Lamp-with-Hang-Hook-0165/204667675
While at Home Depot get two eight inch terra cotta plant saucers ($4), and a digital appliance timer ($10).

Then go to Walmart and get a black dishwashing tub for a humid hide. About $1.82.

Finally go to a local nursery and get a great big bag of fine grade orchid bark for about $6. You might need two bags.

Come to think of it... If your tortoise is going to hibernate in winter, and be outside during most of spring summer and fall, you rely don't need indoor UV. You could just use a 65 watt or 100 watt flood bulb for basking heat. This would be much cheaper than a MVB. Get two so you have a back up. They always burn out at the most inconvenient times.

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
For a large open table, I would buy the 160 watt size MVB. Build some sort of mount, so you can hang it over the table and adjust the height to get the correct temperature under it. Then go to Home Depot and buy this fixture: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Designers-Edge-10-1-2-in-Brooder-Lamp-with-Hang-Hook-0165/204667675
While at Home Depot get two eight inch terra cotta plant saucers ($4), and a digital appliance timer ($10).

Then go to Walmart and get a black dishwashing tub for a humid hide. About $1.82.

Finally go to a local nursery and get a great big bag of fine grade orchid bark for about $6. You might need two bags.

Come to think of it... If your tortoise is going to hibernate in winter, and be outside during most of spring summer and fall, you rely don't need indoor UV. You could just use a 65 watt or 100 watt flood bulb for basking heat. This would be much cheaper than a MVB. Get two so you have a back up. They always burn out at the most inconvenient times.
Will do tomorrow or Tuesday tom thank you very much will a 125 watt mvb bulb work? Because I already have a mvb 125watt bulb