Keeping the Humidity in a humid hide

Paula Hu

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California, Los Angeles
Hello! I'm Paula
I am starting plan out the enclosure for my tortoise and I'm having a question on the humid hide.
I know that the ambient humidity have to be 80% or up, and for the humidity hide it have to be 95-100% and I'm wondering how to do that.
Some people say to mist it, put moss in it, put a waterproof heat rope, etc. And I'm kinda confused???
How do y'all raise the humidity in the humid hide box?
(how do you check the humidity in the humid hide box?)

Thanks!
Paula

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
What species of tort do you have or are intending to get and are you using a viv or table?
Vivs are better for babies because it is easier to control the heat and humidty.
Moss isn't advised because some torts will eat it and it can cause problems/impaction in the gut.
I think it's a case of keeping the substrate moist (not wet) under the hide, but you need to make the right choice of substrate too. My tort has always been too big for a table or viv so I've not had to think about this too much but I'm sure other members will chip in.

If you post some pics of your enclosure and the sort of hide you are thinking of using you'll get the right advice.

Most people use a hygrometer to monitor the humidity - there are many types and you can get digital thermometers/hygrometers with probes.

Pet stores often know very little about tort care and will sell unsuitable and unsafe equipment for profit so check here before buying anything to avoid making the mistakes many of us have when starting out and to save some money.

Last edited:

Paula Hu

Thank you for replying!
I haven't set up the enclosure and haven't got the tortoise. Right now I''m just planning and trying to get everything figured out before I actually set it up.
I will be getting a leopard tortoise.
What do you mean by a viv or table (I have no idea what is a vivarium, sorry)?
I will be using fine grade orchid bark for substrate.
Thanks for all the advice! Super helpful!
Paula Hu

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you for replying!
I haven't set up the enclosure and haven't got the tortoise. Right now I''m just planning and trying to get everything figured out before I actually set it up.
I will be getting a leopard tortoise.
What do you mean by a viv or table (I have no idea what is a vivarium, sorry)?
I will be using fine grade orchid bark for substrate.
Thanks for all the advice! Super helpful!
Paula Hu
A vivarium, is a glass tank which many members use to start off their babies . If you google it you will see examples. It needs to be large enough for them to grow in for a couple of years.
I have a leopard tort and he's lovely, but it's not been without its challenges.
They don't hibernate so need to have heat and uvb sources all year around. My leopard was about 4 and 9 inches long when I first brought him home so he was too big for an enclosure, so he has his own adapted room with a heated dog kennel as his hide. He lives in that all year around with access to the garden in the summer, but even our summers can be too cold for him to live outside.
In your climate I'm guessing that when he is old and big enough you will have plenty of space for him to live outside, in a heated shed/heated night box for the nights and winter.
There is a lot to consider when finding a tort to suit your space and circumstances. So make sure you do your homework!! I see Tom gave you the caresheet for leopards in your first thread so read that and follow it as closely as possible.

Paula Hu

Thanks so much for this detailed reply with your experience!
I've read tom's care sheet many times and it's been SUPER helpful. It answers many of my questions.
I hangout on TFO often and getting other informations from other threads and I keep seeing new stuff(I learned what is a vivarium today!), so i get confused sometimes😣😣😣sorry

Light
I am preparing to have a basking light (65 watt incandescent flood bulb), ambient light ( 24 in 6500k LED bulb). I'm not sure if I will need a UV light because I am available to bring the tortoise outside to get sunlight everyday, but I'm probably still gonna get one just in case (Arcadia Pro 12% HO bulb)I'm not sure this one is correct.

Yep! I live in southern california which is pretty warm and dry most of the time and I have a yard that he can live in when he gets big. Super excitedddddd!!
I am trying my best to figure out everything the tortoise need so it can live a happy (i hope) and healthy I'll try) life in my home.
I'm super happy that you answered my thread with super good advice, I super appreciate it!!!!!!

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! I'm Paula
I am starting plan out the enclosure for my tortoise and I'm having a question on the humid hide.
I know that the ambient humidity have to be 80% or up, and for the humidity hide it have to be 95-100% and I'm wondering how to do that.
Some people say to mist it, put moss in it, put a waterproof heat rope, etc. And I'm kinda confused???
How do y'all raise the humidity in the humid hide box?
(how do you check the humidity in the humid hide box?)

Thanks!
Paula
You don't need to do any of that. Just make sure the door hole is only slightly larger than the tortoise, and keep the substrate under it damp. All the other stuff you mentioned is unnecessary and possibly dangerous. No moss. Tortoises eat it and it can cause impaction. No heat cables. Electric heat from underneath is dangerous for tortoises. Misting the inside of your humid hide won't hurt anything, but it isn't necessary. Once you have the enclosure set up, put your thermometer/hygrometer inside your humid hide. Watch the % rise...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks so much for this detailed reply with your experience!
I've read tom's care sheet many times and it's been SUPER helpful. It answers many of my questions.
I hangout on TFO often and getting other informations from other threads and I keep seeing new stuff(I learned what is a vivarium today!), so i get confused sometimes😣😣😣sorry

Light
I am preparing to have a basking light (65 watt incandescent flood bulb), ambient light ( 24 in 6500k LED bulb). I'm not sure if I will need a UV light because I am available to bring the tortoise outside to get sunlight everyday, but I'm probably still gonna get one just in case (Arcadia Pro 12% HO bulb)I'm not sure this one is correct.

Yep! I live in southern california which is pretty warm and dry most of the time and I have a yard that he can live in when he gets big. Super excitedddddd!!
I am trying my best to figure out everything the tortoise need so it can live a happy (i hope) and healthy I'll try) life in my home.
I'm super happy that you answered my thread with super good advice, I super appreciate it!!!!!!
All of those lights sound perfect.

Have you looked into the Smart enclosures from @Markw84 ? They are the best I've seen and the perfect environment to raise a baby in. The lighting and heating is already included and installed. I have two of my own running and I've assembled 3 others. They are amazing. You can start with a 48x36, and when he gets bigger, you can buy an extension that will double the size until he is large enough to live outside with a heated shelter full time. It takes all the guesswork out of setting up a new enclosure. You start out with the perfect enclosure instead of figuring things out as you go along, and improving an imperfect set up. Mark's enclosures come with all of the lighting you listed, plus the RHPs for ambient maintenance and hardwired thermostats. It just makes everything so much easier, and better for the tortoise.

Paula Hu

I really looked in to all the reviews of his enclosures and i really believe its the BEST enclosure a little tortoise can have. It's definitely the best and most simple way for me to get a safe home for my tortoise. I would 100% get it from him and because of my "parent" ☹️restrictions I am not able to. It's really making my head hurt, but I will still try my best to build the enclosure that will keep my tortoise happy and healthy.
Really a BIG THANK YOU for all the help Tom😄😄😄
Paula