New Box Turtle caretaker in Chicago

Sanchez

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago,IL
Hello folks! I just recently had this little cutie come in to my life; this is the real Sanchez, a Florida Box Turtle. She's about 6 months old and lives in a 20gal long tank. I put some wood on 3 of the 4 walls of her cage and use a mix of coconut fiber, sphagnum moss, and cypress bark for substrate. She's also got a hide hut, water bowl, flat basking rock, some palm plants and a deer antler.

I had a eastern box turtle when I was a kid, but my parents left him outside one night while I was away at summer camp and a predator got to him. For the past few years I've been taking care of box turtles at the nature centers I've been working at and decided it was time for me to care for another box turtle at home. I'm excited to bond this little critter over the next many years!

Sanchez1.jpg Sanchez.jpg Sanchez5.JPG Sanchez4.JPG Sanchez3.JPG Sanchez2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Cute little box turtle! Welcome to the forum. can we see more pictures of the enclosure, it sounds great.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Welcome! You sure do have a cute baby box turtle. You sound so excited. I am happy for you! It's great you volunteer to help the animals.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Cute little one and Welcome to the forum. Good to have you two here! !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Sanchez is a beauty!!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
He is so adorable! Looks like he has a great personality! Welcome!!!

Sanchez

Chicago,IL
Thanks, for the kind words everyone. Sanchez sure is a cuite.

Welcome! You sure do have a cute baby box turtle. You sound so excited. I am happy for you! It's great you volunteer to help the animals.
I started off as a volunteer, but now I teach nature education classes to mostly kids, but I do adult classes too. I get to work box turtles, various pond turtles, tortoises, lizards, snakes, and more! It's a pretty sweet job.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello,and Welcome:). I'm also from the city of chicago, northsider. Very cute boxie there.

Sanchez

Chicago,IL
Hello,and Welcome:). I'm also from the city of chicago, northsider. Very cute boxie there.
Very cool, I'm in Park Ridge. I got Sanchez from a breeder at the Scott Smith Animal Expo at DuPage Co. fairgrounds. Are you going to NARBC?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very cool, I'm in Park Ridge. I got Sanchez from a breeder at the Scott Smith Animal Expo at DuPage Co. fairgrounds. Are you going to NARBC?

You are very close. I went to the NARBC once a few years ago and got more angry then I enjoyed it. The way tortoises we're being kept didn't set good with me and I have a hard time keeping mouth closed with things like that:D