Louisiana Box Turtle laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twin mom

5 Year Member
Hello, I am new to this site. I inherited a three toed box turtle from a family member recently. To me, it appears to have been taken from the wild at sometime, but I also think I see "clip marks" on his shell that I have read mean they were possibly farmed as young turtles?

I was also wondering if anyone was familiar with box turtle laws in Louisiana. Is it still illegal to buy, sell, or trade box turtles in Louisiana?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 46

gary27

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
2) Recreational use of wild box turtles. No more than two wild box turtles per day may be taken for recreational purposes, and no person shall have in his or her possession more than four box turtles at any time. A violation of this Paragraph shall constitute a class one violation, R.S. 56:31.

Acts 1999, No. 81, §1.

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Hello Twin mom! I also live in La., New Orleans. Gary has the right info. I have a 3 toed turtle whom I suspect came from the wild because she has a scute missing above her head and she was super spooked out for many years. I got her when I was 7, in WA state 28 years ago. Back then, laws were a lot looser (unfortunately) and that is in no small part responsible for the current state of affairs for wild boxies.
Regardless of where your boxie came from, he's now a captive turtle. Unless it's been less than a year and you know precisely where he was found, you cannot re-release her for a number of reasons...
This forum is a great place to learn more about your turtle and there are lots of folks from Louisiana on here.
Let us know how it's working out! and post more pix! and are you sure it's a male?
Happy turtling,
Thea

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm from the Gulf Coast, Florida, and the laws are very similar here for box turtles. I hope you keep them and take good care of them. As a side note, below my name is a threat written by Tom. If you have a dog, plan on getting a dog, or allow dogs to visit your home, then this thread is a must read.

Status
Not open for further replies.