New Born Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seatac, Washington
So about two weeks ago I contacted this seller about buying one of his baby leopards. He was probably the most unprofessional procrastinating business person I have ever come in contact with. He rescheduled shipping multiple times and then apparently shipped yesterday and never told me he was doing so. This morning I get a knock at the door and there is a package for me. I look at the name and sure enough, its from him. I open the package and was surprised to see how tiny he was. He still has his egg tooth and you can see where the sack was attached to his belly. He was pretty cold so after I warmed him up I put him in his new cage and he's just running around. I gave him some spring mix and a little Mazuri. Dont really expect him to eat, but just in case. SO... obviously I need to keep an eye on him for the next few weeks, but should I keep his temps like I would any other aged tort or higher? I guess seeing that tiny baby scared me and I'm looking for a little advice. Anything special I should do for it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That was so irresponsible of the seller. What if you weren't home to receive the package? Poor little baby!

What he needs now is peace and quiet. A good long soak in warm water, then put him into his habitat and leave him alone for a day or two. Make sure its warm enough for him. He probably won't start eating until the spot on his plastron is totally gone, but you can offer food anyway.

Of course, you know the rule: Pictures...pictures...pictures!!

M

Maggie Cummings

Leopard and Redfoot babies are just the prettiest things. I would keep him warm and quiet. Yvonne has already given you the best advice so I just wanted to say congratulations on your new baby and did I notice your post was missing pictures???

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
Here are a couple pictures... haven't decided what to name it or if I want a boy or girl.
CIMG1969.jpg

CIMG1966.jpg

CIMG1965.jpg

CIMG1964.jpg

CIMG1963.jpg

It was a little scared of my boyfriend. As soon as i held it, it would kick around. SOOOO cute

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Oh, my! What an adorable little peanut! :p

Good luck getting his warm cozy habitat ready and tucking him in at night after the bedtime story and cup of warm milk. ;)

So tiny and delicate! Congratulations on your new arrival. :D

Remember to pay extra attention to Marlin and Bumper so they don't become jealous of the new baby. ;)

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
AWWW so adorable :D Leopard hatchlings are soo cute!

I can't believe the seller!! How irresponsible! Did you say anything to him?

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
I got an email from him around 130 this afternoon... i got the tort at around 930 in the morning... saying he sent it off yesterday. I was so mad i refrained from writing him back because I didn't want to swear at him. Now all I need is a name! Its crazy how small that baby is and also having bumber who is an adult and seeing the resemblance. Now the memories come...

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
I like how in them photos he wont come out of his shell... Id call him squish!
Very cute, you can now also change your personal signature!!

x

S

Scooter

Very cute congrats on the new baby! I hope you too have a long happy life together.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
He reminds me of my baby Salt... His markings are so similar with the front side dot being a line...
I named him salt because of South African Leopard Tortoise. I not sure how OG that is but I was out of names, my other two are Temperance and BB short for (Birthday Boy), He was born on my birthday

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Terra I didn't know you decided on the name Salt! That's cute :)

BHolmes

5 Year Member
My new little hatchling looks alot like yours. I named mine Tater Tort, not sure if it is original or not but I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.