Baby Leopard Tortoise passed away.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

vampire5003

5 Year Member
My baby leopard tortoise suffered. My house dropped to 69F in the night and morning so I had it Humid and cold....I saw that the baby was still alive and I thought a soak would be good. I was wrong. The baby died some way. The water was warm. My husband left him for almost a hour soaking in a tubaware conntainer in a warm area in the house. It was 41F outside this morning. He past away during his soak. I think he died because his/her eyes are showing but are not moving and I don't see air coming in. His shell is also getting soft now. I have kept several torts and l never have had this problem. I only had him/her for two maybe three weeks. I bought him from Robert/Trish but its not their fault. Im just a stupid piece of ****. I hate myself. My husband blames himself but its my fault.

Bubba30

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
I am so sorry for your lost. Somethings in life are inevitable.
XOXOX BUBBA AND CARLA

vampire5003

5 Year Member
Bubba30 said:
XOXOX BUBBA AND CARLA

I was really growing on the tortoise....I wish he had some kind of guarantee there breed of tortoises are very expensive. I know my husband is so mad, he won't allow me to buy any more tortoises.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
When these things happen you can't blame yourself. You did what you thought was best for that baby. Hugs.........

vampire5003

5 Year Member
terryo said:
When these things happen you can't blame yourself. You did what you thought was best for that baby. Hugs.........

I just wish the tortoise could have been OK. I have 3 wonderful acres of land that I wanted this Leopard tortoise to thrive on when it was around 6 inches to 20+ inches. My husband is outraged, he probably won't want me to get any more tortoises.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I am sorry for your lost.... I have one by Robert and Trish as well.... its the most perkiest and energetic Leopard I've gotten... try contacting them to see what they will say?
I don't know if the temperature would do it... my night temps do go to 69 a few times a week... hasn't done anything to them yet since the day time temps go right back up.

Bubba30

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
vampire5003 said:
Bubba30 said:
XOXOX BUBBA AND CARLA

I was really growing on the tortoise....I wish he had some kind of guarantee there breed of tortoises are very expensive. I know my husband is so mad, he won't allow me to buy any more tortoises.
I bet it very hard what happen. But I just hope you don't let bad situations keep you from doing things you love.
P.S if you ever need help or someone to talk too bubba and I are here
XOXOX BUBBA AND CARLA

vampire5003

5 Year Member
Mao Senpai said:
I am sorry for your lost.... I have one by Robert and Trish as well.... its the most perkiest and energetic Leopard I've gotten... try contacting them to see what they will say?
I don't know if the temperature would do it... my night temps do go to 69 a few times a week... hasn't done anything to them yet since the day time temps go right back up.

The only thing is that once my husband saw the dead tortoise he threw the body outside in a hole to be buried. They might want a photo, and what could they do? Offer $10 dollars off another one? My husband is furious.
I will probably not buy another reptile for a while due to my horrible experience with it dying.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Hm... not sure.. they just seemed like nice people... might have offered some kind of solution. Anyhow... sorry :(

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sounds like the cold temps + humidity might have played a factor. But who knows really. It's very challenging to keep babies alive, even for the most experienced.

vampire5003

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for your responses, I am unfortunately gonna delete my tortoiseforum account. I am quitting the hobby.

Thanks again, Margaret

HarleyK

5 Year Member
vampire5003 said:
Thanks everyone for your responses, I am unfortunately gonna delete my tortoiseforum account. I am quitting the hobby.

Thanks again, Margaret

I dont understand why you feel so defeated. You need ti identify the problem and get past it. I dont see what the outside temperature has anything to do with it. You need to make sure the temp inside its habitat is warm enough. What was your heat source. This is a correctable problem and it certainly should not stop you from leaving the hobby

vampire5003

5 Year Member
I HAVE A UPDATE! The breeders tried out cypress mulch and it went horribly wrong. They told me a couple torts ate a ton of cypress mulch overnight and seemed healthy. So my old tort died of impaction. The breeders went clean. They sent me a new one. It wasn't my fault. I was wondering why it tried to eat cypress mulch at my house. I had switched to coconut coir.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
WOW.... that's a first to hear of.

Congratulations on the new baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.