New baby

kirsten!

I got a tiny leopard baby yesterday. I have him in a tub which my 2 year old sulcata was living in (who just moved outside for the days) but I don't think it's warm/humid enough for the baby. I have a mercury vapor 100w for basking spot which I make 95, then che making the rest of warm side 85, cool side of the tub with no heat gets to low 70's. I'm new to the humidity thing as I got my sulcata when he was already a juvenile and was told nothing about him needing humidity. So my questions are do I make the whole tub moist? The cool side or the warm side? Where should I be putting his food and water dish; as in which temp range? I also am not too fond of the tub and have been thinking of just getting a big tank to display in my living room. I know some people like tanks for hatchlings and others don't. I was thinking of the Zoo Med reptihabitat tortoise kit 40 gallon tank to keep him in until he outgrows it. It seems easier to keep the heat and humidity in while he's so small and crucially needs it. Opinions or suggestions please!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Kirsten, and welcome to the Forum!

In my opinion, with babies, you really don't need a hot side/cool side. It's quite ok (in my opinion) to have an overall temperature of about 80-85F degrees. If he wants to cool off more than that, he can go into his hiding place.

In order to keep the tub humid, you pour a lot of water over the substrate, I mean A LOT, and stir it up with you hand to get it evenly wet. Then you cover the tub. As the heat evaporates the moisture, it causes the air to be humid.

I'm hatching out leopard babies right now, and they don't all hatch at the same time, so I have different sizes in here. The aquarium is getting to be too small for the amount of babies, but it's just temporary:

leopard babies 3-20-16 a.jpg

The foil doesn't work very well. I noticed the biggest baby is not as smooth as I would like. I have another baby habitat that I cover like this and it works better:

leopard babies 6-22-15 a.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I keep my hatchlings in a tub with a greenhouse cover over it. I use an MVB for days. I locate it so directly under it is about 100F, and no where is cooler than 80F. For night I use a CHE on a thermostat to maintain minimum 80F. I use 4 to 5 inches of substrate, and keep it moist. I maintain 80 percent humidity average. Under the heat source is lower, and in the hides is higher.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia

kirsten!

Thanks for all the info. I have definitely read every link there is on them but then so many of them have conflicting information. He is so tiny it's stressing me out.

Here is Nacho! He falls asleep during his soaks.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    458.6 KB · Views: 47

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I got a tiny leopard baby yesterday. I have him in a tub which my 2 year old sulcata was living in (who just moved outside for the days) but I don't think it's warm/humid enough for the baby. I have a mercury vapor 100w for basking spot which I make 95, then che making the rest of warm side 85, cool side of the tub with no heat gets to low 70's. I'm new to the humidity thing as I got my sulcata when he was already a juvenile and was told nothing about him needing humidity. So my questions are do I make the whole tub moist? The cool side or the warm side? Where should I be putting his food and water dish; as in which temp range? I also am not too fond of the tub and have been thinking of just getting a big tank to display in my living room. I know some people like tanks for hatchlings and others don't. I was thinking of the Zoo Med reptihabitat tortoise kit 40 gallon tank to keep him in until he outgrows it. It seems easier to keep the heat and humidity in while he's so small and crucially needs it. Opinions or suggestions please!

Low 70s is too cool. No part of the enclosure should drop below 80, day or night.

Yes. All the substrate should be damp.

Doesn't matter where you put the food and water.

A covered glass tank will help you hold in the heat and humidity better.

All of this is explained in detail right here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Tell us what info conflicts with what is in that thread and we can explain and discuss what has been said and why.

von345

I spray down mines enclosure while he soaks everyday and cover it with a shower curtain cheap and works perfect

kirsten!

Two weeks later :)

Nacho is doing good. He waits at his food bowl every morning. lol

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    983.6 KB · Views: 27

kirsten!

How quickly should babies be gaining weight? Mine hasn't gained any weight in past 3 weeks although I see a lot more white growth on him. He eats, drinks when I soak him daily. Only poops (a lot) and pees when I soak him.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
As long as he's eating properly and you're soaking properly... and he's active of course... then don't stress too much.

It is tempting to weigh too frequently and when torts are tiny the few grammes gained by growing can be hidden by your tort doing a big poop!

Try not to weigh more often than once a fortnight. To be honest monthly is enough.

And do it at the same time of day each time. Your tort's weight varies, just like yours does, throughout the day.