Baby Leopard Tortoise passed away.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I am glad to hear they did the right thing by you and hopefully anyone else that it happened to..

vampire5003

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:

Not exactly, if you read my thread I said I THINK it is trying to eat cypress mulch. I also stated that if it did it ate very little. Robert reported after speaking to my husband and I some torts "may have eaten a large/ton amount of cypress mulch at their enclosure at my facility. We were attempting to try it out, that's why we usually use newspaper.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, your baby died because of being allowed to get cold while wet. I'm sorry for your loss, but it wasn't the fault of the sellers or from eating cypress mulch. (My opinion)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
vampire5003 said:
I HAVE A UPDATE! The breeders tried out cypress mulch and it went horribly wrong. They told me a couple torts ate a ton of cypress mulch overnight and seemed healthy. So my old tort died of impaction. The breeders went clean. They sent me a new one. It wasn't my fault. I was wondering why it tried to eat cypress mulch at my house. I had switched to coconut coir.

Interesting, I hope the new little guy does good.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I went back and re-read some of your first posts and you said that you were using a mixture of cypress mulch and sand. Did you change that out to only cypress mulch or are you still using sand too.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
sorry to hear about your baby - glad you are getting a second chance. Please make sure to READ lots to make sure to get the temps and enclosure set up just right for the baby. From what I have read babys are VERY touchy and even experienced owners have a hard time raising them. Please take the advice of all these experienced people on this forum. There are many Leopard owners here that can help you. Ask questions and post lots of pictures.

P.S. I don't raise leopards but have read that sand causes impaction in other torts, lizards and even horses, so don't use it!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
vampire5003 said:
Jacqui said:

Not exactly, if you read my thread I said I THINK it is trying to eat cypress mulch. I also stated that if it did it ate very little. Robert reported after speaking to my husband and I some torts "may have eaten a large/ton amount of cypress mulch at their enclosure at my facility. We were attempting to try it out, that's why we usually use newspaper.

Because I was uneasy with some of the things you wrote, I contacted Robert and Trish. I received a very interesting letter back from them after they read your various posts. One interesting comment was in all their 20 yrs, they have NEVER kept a Leopard on cypress. Another was they deny ever talking to your husband. Just thought the flip side of this entire thing was informative. :cool:

ElfDa

5 Year Member
Sammamish, WA
aw, sweetie; i'm so sorry!
we had a few close calls with Penny, since it gets so cold in our apartment, and we had the humidity high.

to the point that she was throwing up and breathing exclusively through her mouth. I don't think I'll be able to relax until she's about 5.

I understand your husband's frustration, but try remember that anger is a stage of mourning. I also understand being reluctant to buy another herp for a while; just do what almost everyone does and don't get babies.

I send you and yours many internet-hugs.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Jacqui said:
vampire5003 said:
Jacqui said:

Because I was uneasy with some of the things you wrote, I contacted Robert and Trish. I received a very interesting letter back from them after they read your various posts. One interesting comment was in all their 20 yrs, they have NEVER kept a Leopard on cypress. Another was they deny ever talking to your husband. Just thought the flip side of this entire thing was informative. :cool:

Interesting....

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Strange.. the one I got doesn't really eat anything but the food... I was actually thinking of getting another one from them..

Status
Not open for further replies.