New babies, one doing well, one not so much

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
Thanks. Can't find Mazuri locally. I have ordered it online but won't get it until next week

J

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
It's been at least 6 days since this little one has eaten, I am quickly losing hope. Mazuri is on order but won't be here until next week. I've tried to help him eat by holding the food while he attempts to bite at it. I've pureed cactus leave and greens and still he won't go for it. Anyone tried syringe feeding a baby tortoise before?

Got in touch with the breeder and he said they are about 4 months old, if Dozer has made it this far, I don't know what I am doing wrong now.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Are they in separate enclosures?
I read through the entire thread but couldn't figure out if you had said they were or not.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Is the little one intimidated by the big one? Have you tried separating them completely while they eat? I am so sorry, I know you are trying everything! Keep us posted!!

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
JasonMcK said:
no they are in the same enclosure.

J

Okay I'd think about separating them if you can.
From what I've read there is a size difference between the two.
I have two greek torts, when I put them together one was 35 grams while the other was only 21. You could tell that the smaller one was slightly smaller but not by much. When I picked up the smaller one from a reptile expo she seemed extremely healthy, ran around her little container the entire ride home. But when I put her with the bigger one she was okay for about 5 minutes then closed her eyes(I thought she was just sleeping. Well that whole first weekend I had her she would open her eyes, even when she moved around they were closed. Then she would only eat one bite a day. I the same advice you did, use terramycin. The day after I used it and did a nice long soak she seemed to be 100% better. I thought it was a miracle. I even took her out side and she had an entire dandelion. The miracle was short lived, she went back to barely opening her eyes and completely stopped eating. She went a week without eating, which scared me to death. At this point it was time for a vet appointment. Basically the vet told that my little tort may be stressed out. That the bigger tort may be intimidating to her and to separate them immediately.
Separating them was the best idea ever. My little tort is awake most of the day, opens her eyes all the time, and eats more then my bigger tort. Other then separating them she did have to go through a period of time where she had to have eye drops(because she was itching her eyes which ended up being slight dirt build up around her eyes.)

Sorry for the long drawn out story but what happened to me just sounds so similar to what is happening to you so I just thought I'd share. I hope your little guy gets better!

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
Thanks Sarah,
That makes a lot of sense. I'm about to have my permanent enclosure ready. I will move the bigger one to it.
Have you every been able to keep the two together

J

CtTortoiseMom said:
Is the little one intimidated by the big one? Have you tried separating them completely while they eat? I am so sorry, I know you are trying everything! Keep us posted!!

Yes we usually have the little one eat on his own (or not eat in this case) out of the enclosure. While the larger one eats in the enclosure. We then put the little one back in the enclosure

J

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
JasonMcK said:
Thanks Sarah,
That makes a lot of sense. I'm about to have my permanent enclosure ready. I will move the bigger one to it.
Have you every been able to keep the two together

J

Well this was actually pretty recent, like 3 weeks ago recent :p
They are fine together when they are outside. But like today I accidentally put Indie(the bigger tort) In Willows enclosure and Willow froze up, then started walking toward her hide with her eyes closed lol. I would have had to separate them any way once they were older, they are two different sub species of greeks.

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
Well have some good news today.

I noticed the other day that Dozer got excited at the smell of prickly pear, but was unable to coordinate a bit.

So I took a bit and blended it into a smoothie. It's kinda slimy and turned in to that goo you used see kids playing with.

Anyway, I took this goo and added mustard greens and some kale and blended it again.
I brought Dozer to the sofa and had him on a plate with this puree. Well my goodness he took to it. 20 minutes and still eating.
so then he was taking a break I put the entire plate in the enclosure with the other tortoise Tonka.
Tonka is not so fond of the puree but Dozer was back at the plate for seconds. Even climbed right over Tonka to get back to the plate.

So a highlight today. Tomorrow my Mazuri Tortoise food arrived (Overnight freight $$$)

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
Dozer is eating breakfast like a super star today! His eyes are open too!! I hope this means that we're out of the woods and have a healthy baby now!

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
They both look fine the lettuce is chopped up small enough. My leopard tortoise never looked like he chewed much either and he is now a year old and has a smooth shell and everything. Just keep the lettuce size about where it is in that picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.