Well crap...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Moe has not opened his eyes since yesterday, they are swollen looking...He opened one a crack, then closed them up again last night.

Munch won't come out of his shell, he burrowed down in the substrate yesterday...could he be dead? I had a 140 watt light on them, the basking was as high as 100 the other day, too hot? I've been trying to keep it at 94, regulating it by moving the bulb up or down.

I soaked them both this morning, but Munch never did come out...Moe is active, but not eating or opening his eyes...

I've fed them spring mix, dandelions, tried aloe one day, and more spring mix.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't have time to do my research :D. What kind of tortoises and how old. When I hear "swollen eyes" my first thoughts are:

not eating good and Vit.a deficiency (especially true in box turtles)
UV light too close to the substrate
too dry

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
OK vegetables with highest Vit. A is sweet potatoes, after that is carrots, Green leafy vegetables do have Vit A but not in high concentration.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
My light is too strong, pretty sure Munch is gone...
Now to keep Moe going, I feel like such an ***

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok...I did my research and went through all of the posts that you've made here on the forum, and I see that your two babies are leopard tortoises (so I moved this thread to Leopard Lounge), and you've only had them a very short while.

If Munch is truly dead, he must have been sick when you got him. They die quickly, but you've only had them a week. I don't think you could have done anything to kill him in that short a time frame.

If your light has been harming the eyes, they would have just shown the swollen eyes for a few days and been hiding. They wouldn't die from it that quickly. And they can go a very long time without eating, so he didn't starve to death.

Go over your husbandry again. Make sure you have a pretty hot spot directly under the light, which is positioned at one end of the habitat, not in the middle. Then at the other end, it should be around room temperature. There should be a hiding place at each end so the baby can choose where to rest, warm or cool. The substrate should be slightly moist.

My gut is telling me that they weren't warm enough. But I really have no way of knowing this for sure.

I'm so sorry that you've lost Munch. Sending good thoughts your way for Moe!

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Moe was sitting unresponsive at the food slate. I took him outside for 30-45 minutes (till he started seeking shade) He opened both eyes, ate grass, and dandelions, wandered around like a normal tort! Now he's back in the tub (41 qt tupperware) I tried to make sure they were plenty warm and had a 160 zoo med power sun on the warm side. Moe always hid head first, Munch apparently was soaking up the rays at 104 yesterday when hubby got home. I soaked them every morning and sprayed down the tub each afternoon. Now I've switched to a zoo med basking spot light, the spot is 91 at the moment...Hubby and I are reading/getting conflicting advice about how hot they should be. I read 100 in the hottest spot, then hubby was told no hotter then 92! Grrrrr, I'm not giving up and will figure this out.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
pugsandkids said:
Hubby and I are reading/getting conflicting advice about how hot they should be. I read 100 in the hottest spot, then hubby was told no hotter then 92! Grrrrr, I'm not giving up and will figure this out.

I keep my basking spot between 94-98. It's adjustable so if it cools down or warms up in the house, I can adjust. I haven't had issues yet in the 9 months I've had him in terms of eyes or being sick though.

My UVB florescents are roughly 12 inches from the substrate and are also adjustable, but I havn't moved them yet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, I was just gonna' say...I positioned my light so that it is 12" from the floor of the habitat. It shines straight down and it is mounted in one corner. I never measure the temperature. I provide the light for them to use as they see fit. If its too warm, I'm assuming they'll go inside the shade of their hiding place and get away from it.

I have most of the habitat covered with foil to keep the cool air inside the house from rushing in.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Thank you for all the help! Moe appreciates it too.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...So sorry about your baby.
What are you using for UVB? If it is a coil or compact, or a Repti Glo fluorescent, that is probably the problem.
Good luck
Patsy

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
K9KidsLove said:
Hi...So sorry about your baby.
What are you using for UVB? If it is a coil or compact, or a Repti Glo fluorescent, that is probably the problem.
Good luck
Patsy

Repti Glo Flourescent are bad? Havn't heard that one and I've been using those (not all the time), for over 5 years with no problems. I however agree, don't use the coil or compact bulbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.